Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am 46 and i wish to leave my job to retrain in things i

have always been interested in...
i am 46 and i wish to leave my job to retrain in things i have always been interested in. I am told that i could be making a very wrong move. dont know what i should do. Should i do what i want to at least address my passion or live in the doldrums but financially secure
2/28/2013
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help you with this.

Bill :

It takes courage to change and to make choices that inspire you inner desires are those that you should always follow.

Bill :

For many years, I have told people with similar questions that " It is too easy to stay" meaning that the comforts of what is know sometimes prevent us from moving in a direction.

Customer:

i dont get you. Things are lot easier said than done. i am really really confused or perhaps dont have the courage to do what i desire.

Bill :

Follow your passion, regardless of the end, you will gain great strength and insight and declare yourself in a way that is new and natural.

Bill :

Barriers are common to change- it is the resistance to change that you must confront. When complete- the order will reveal itself

Bill :

You define you = and your destiny- no one else-

Customer:

part of the problem i am asking is this. the world is in turmoil and there are lots of unemployment etc, why do i want to give up what i have to go into things unknown. it may turn out good or worse, i may end up in a worse position financially

Bill :

embrace this challenge and you will enrich your life.

Bill :

what is it that you wish to do.?

Bill :

All change has risk-

Bill :

Risk and change go hand in hand-------what is more important..........to be tied at the dock or out in the open ocean sailing your own ship?

Customer:

You dont understand. what right do i have to want to do this at a late age of 46. When i wanted to do this earlier, i did not have the finance. now i dont have as much financial responsibility and want this to improve myself and to knwo more about myself.

Customer:

I have always been teaching business communication. I intend to take up courses in voice and performance in Vancouver and US to be a competent speaker and a creative storyteller.

Bill :

Fantastic- follow your dream-------------

Customer:

despite my age and the unknown.

Bill :

We only have one life- the unknown is all we have anyway? Right?>

Bill :

We are often locked in the comfortable know when in reality-----------nothing is truly known.. Tomorrow could be the last chance we have.

Customer:

one should follow a dream despite the given uncertainties

Bill :

You have just given the definition of a dream.............follow it-.

Bill :

IF it was not present in your conscience mind--------it would not be real or viable. To dismiss is to dismiss your true self.

Customer:

would you still recommend if i am not financially secure in doing the courses i intend.

Bill :

Do you know what a tombstone is?

Customer:

a simplistic structure that states that a person has come to rest in life or at least his mortal remains.

Bill :

Have you ever seen one that says-----------"Gee, I wish I had spent another day at the office making money"

Customer:

no i have not. nt yet anyway

Bill :

That is my point- your focus is heartfelt and nothing that has to do with making money should take its place of such a DREAM.

Bill :

The dream or talent wins every time. HAPPINESS!

Customer:

it is better to have a dream and to have pursued it and then not. my friends and family think i am committing suicide of all sorts. i should just shut the dam mind and live with what i have.

Bill :

Money and financial security has nothing to do with inner happiness........

Bill :

I agree with you. It is your life -----------------not theirs.

Bill :

Let them make their choices.

Bill :

To live their lives as they wish- not as they wish you to live.

Customer:

Honestly, is it suicide to want to do something different at a ripe age of 46. i would have to start all over again and compete with the very young and hale and hearty

Bill :

46- 47- 48- 49-

Bill :

you will continue to wonder if you should have tried.

Bill :

If you have been successful making money once- you can do it again- Take a year and give it a try.

Bill :

If you succeed- you will be forever happy. If not, you can always make money.

Customer:

Dear Bill, i have been thinking of this for a decade. Please tell me something to hammer the thought that i should not let caution in the wind stop me. I should just pursue what i want in this life.

Bill :

That is not what brings inner joy|

Customer:

i do not want to be thinking that i should have done this in another decade. i want to do it now. i know that i will succeed and i know i will try very try to do what must be done

Bill :

Mantra: "PURSUE WHAT I WANT IN LIFE"

Bill :

It comes from you as it is you.

Bill :

Keep repeating the Mantra that came from within you............don't wait to follow a dream- embrace it now- for it yours now and forever more.

Bill :

Pursue it now.....That is all we have...........the gift of the present.

Bill :

I wish you peace and the fulfillment of your dreams............Chase it now..................and do not look back.

Bill :

Your future is ahead of you.........the past is gone.

Bill :

Kindest regards,

Bill :

Bill

Customer:

i sitll dont know if i could be making a wrong move in leaving a secure job.

Bill :

Then you are not ready----------give yourself permission- it can only come from you.

Bill :

A secure job----------hmmmmmmmmmmm??????? what does that really mean-------------think about that- and how happy you are with such security..............

Bill :

I wish you th ebest,

Bill :

Best,

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your positive rating and wish you the very best.............

Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness