Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My psychiatrist gave me Abilify, because I hear voices etc.

My mother thinks that Abilify...
My psychiatrist gave me Abilify, because I hear voices etc. My mother thinks that Abilify is a strong medication for someone without a diagnosis (except that my psycholog said she think that I could be schizoaffektive. ) but, is Abilify classified as narcotic? (my mother.. is a bit skeptical about medications that are anti-psychotic)
2/27/2013
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this.

Bill :

Abilify is a very good medication for treating problems with thoughts, which could be related to having Schizoaffective DIsorder.

Bill :

If you Mom is concerned about this medication (it is classified as an atypical anti-psychotic NOT narcotic) she should be included in conversations with your Doctor so that she can be reassured that this medication is the appropriate choice for you.

Bill :

Sometimes reading the information can make a parent feel afraid-- however, it must be understood that this medication can provide you with significant benefit if you are having problems with thoughts, hearing voices etc.

Bill :

Detail from the Pharmaceutical Company is here:

Bill :

I trust this will help you and your mom.

Bill :

I wish you the very best!

Bill :

Kindest regards,

Bill :

Bill

Bill :

I APPRECIATE YOUR POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness

Hello.
Thank you for your answer. We have now bought abilify (but she's still not convinced, that's it the right medication - she's afraid that It will mess up my head - is that possible?) and, now that I have gotten Abilify - is it then decided that I am schizoaffective? (I know that you can't answer fully sure - but, like, When I have gotten abilify, is it like, that my psychiatrist is going to set a diagnosis?) I have another question about Abilify too, and that is - I have suffered from an eating disorder (Bulimia with anorexic tendences) and I am afraid that the medication will do that I gain weight? I really don't want to gain any weight. Is it also possible that this could be worse when I start the treatment, will the voices - get worse, or more? I already have five voices, so if it will get worse when I take Abilify I am not sure that I trust the medication? I am also very scared that the medication will make me to someone else? like, that I lose controll over myself?

Hello N-

If you are hearing voices- you want this to stop and ability will help with this.

Although some weight gain is possible with this medication if you are monitored closely by your Doctor, the benefits of having the medication exceed concern about weight (although I understand that this is a concern based on your history).

I would give the medication a trial--it would not have been prescribed if the Doctor did not feel it would help you .

If you don't feel better- meaning- you stop hearing voices- then you will know that this is the right medication.

In the end however, no one can force you to take the medication but there is no harm in trying.

Kindest regards, Bill

.. Yes I want it to stop, but I am afraid of getting the diagnosis, will this medication confirm that I HAVE schizoaffective?

So theres a huge chance that I will gain weight?
(I am currently 151 cm and weight 40kg so gaining weight is no option)

And, they can't like force admitt me to a psychiatric ward? (I were admitted to the psychiatric ward a few months ago, after a suicide attempt, and I were in the ward over two months) So, If I refuse medication - can they force me? or take me away from my parents?

No it will not confirm you have Schizoaffective Disorder. The medication is used for a variety or purposes. In your case it has been prescribed so that you stop hearing voices.

Only you and your Doctor can decide what is best for you. Talk to your Doctor about these concerns and they will help you figure out what is best.

I do not see you being forced into a hospital for not wanting to take this medication, much less being taken away from your parents.

Kindest regards, Bill

PLEASE LEAVE POSITIVE RATING SO THAT I RECEIVE CREDIT FOR MY TIME

Thank you

Okey. I ask a lot - I am sorry for that, but it's really scary.
so..

* They can't for any reason force admitt me to the psychiatric ward, for refusing medication
* They can't for any reason take me away from my parents, because they won't force me to take the medication

What If Abilify doesn't work? how many days does it take before Abilify works, or have any effect? Could I get any Side effects the first day with abilify?

Abilify works very quickly and patients report reduction in symptoms within 1 day to a week. You can stop it at anytime so, as long as your Doctor has prescribed - there is no harm in trying-

Being a little scared is normal when trying something new.

Seeing that you are in Sweden- I do not know the laws for involuntary commitment for Psychiatric Reasons. Ask you Doctor or therapist and they will know. I would not worry about this.

I wish you the very best.
Bill

Is it possible that Abilify makes me dizzy and more paranoid than usual? Because I have more anxiety and I am more paranoid now, and I have taken abilify two days now.

Relist: Other.
Bill may be offline or answering another question. We will send you an email and give you a message on this page as soon as your Expert replies.

I think seriously Abilify is making me worse. I am having suicidal thoughts, I can't focuse, I have panic and the voices are even higher. I think I am going crazy.

N-

In this situation- Call your Doctor. You should be able to stop this medication without difficulty but your Doctor is the best to address this and perhaps suggest somethint else.

Kindest regards,
Bill

Is it possible that I am schizoaffective - all though Abilify don't work?

And Is it possible that Abilify works better with Fluoxetine at the morning, than taking it at night with sleepings pills? (Imovane, 10 mg)

Relist: Other. Is it possible that I am schizoaffective - all though Abilify don't work? And Is it possible that Abilify works better with Fluoxetine at the morning, than taking it at night with sleepings pills? (Imovane, 10 mg) And can she really give me Abilify without a diagnosis?

Other. Is it possible that I am schizoaffective - all though Abilify don't work? And Is it possible that Abilify works better with Fluoxetine at the morning, than taking it at night with sleepings pills? (Imovane, 10 mg) And can she really give me Abilify without a diagnosis?

Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness