How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5839
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm 68 and have always had a fear of heights. Now its

This answer was rated:

I'm 68 and have always had a fear of heights. Now its getting worse in tghat I have trouble
driving over bridges that are several stories high. I want help. Should I se a psychiatrist or
a psychologist? Thank you.
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
A psychiatrist is a medical doctor that specializes in mental health. Although they primarily prescribe mental health medications, some do therapy as well. A psychologist is someone with a Ph.D (doctorate) in Psychology. They focus on therapy and are not able to prescribe drugs. You can see both types of professionals if you feel medications are needed. However for therapy, a psychologist or a Master's level therapist are better choices for what you are describing.
You can find a good therapist in many ways. But the key to which therapist you choose is finding one that fits your needs. For example, a therapist that works out for one person may not be what you are looking for. A therapist needs to not only be a good personality fit, but also provide the type of therapy you are seeking. So talking to a few therapists over the phone or in person can help you screen which one provides what you need.
Here are ways to increase the chances you find someone that is best suited to help you:
Ask your doctor. Doctors often come across people who are depressed or anxious. Since they can only offer medication to help, they usually refer out for therapy. And patients sometimes provide feedback so a doctor may be familiar with good therapists in their area.
Screen therapists on line. Here is a site that helps:
It also helps to be familiar with the credentials of therapists. Anyone who is a Master's level and above (PhD) is required.
Experience also is needed, especially in the area of anxiety and phobias. Here is a list of therapist's credentials:
I hope this has helped you,
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus! I appreciate it.
My best to you,