How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a problem in my family and would really appreciate some

This answer was rated:

I have a problem in my family and would really appreciate some advice. My mother has been ill for about 7-8 years now, she has just turned 50 yrs old. She was diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia a couple years ago and recently to paranoid schizophrenia effective. I'm not sure the difference but either way she is not doing well. She lives with my grandmother (her mother) and has recently started getting violent.....Not yet dangerously violent but it is starting to worsen. We have had her hospitalized in behavioral health quite a few times but doesn't seem to help for long. I'm not sure if its a medication thing or not but I'm mostly concerned about the well being of my grandmother being in the same household as her now. A few times i have had to get the police involved and she was brough to the hospital but that seems to set her off even worse, I was hoping there might be a way to have her hospitalized without involving the police .....kind of in a more peaceful way i guess even though she will not consent to go to the hospital. We are in Massachusetts if it makes any difference. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like your mother might benefit from a medication adjustment. She should not be acting out like she is. But first she may need a full medical evaluation to be sure that nothing is wrong with her physically. Although it is unlikely, it is always a safe bet to be screened physically to be sure you are not treating someone for an emotional issue and they actually have something wrong physically.

If your mother is cleared medically, then it may be a good idea to have a psychiatrist look at her medications. Although it is possible for her to be violent because of her diagnosis, there are medications that can help her feel calmer.

You may also want to look into your local community mental health center for housing. If your mother is violent enough to upset your grandmother, it may not be a good idea to leave them together. Most community mental health centers offer housing with staff on site to help with people who struggle with diagnoses like your mother's. They can also help with life goals so she can benefit from the support.

Here are some resources to help you find help: /gov/departments/dmh/

You may also want to look into NAMI which helps those who have family members who are mentally ill. They provide support and education so you don't feel alone:

I hope this has helped you,
TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
This resource may help you as well:


May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

Related Mental Health Questions