How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Mark Your Own Question
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5334
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Mark is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 9 year old boy is stuttering and feel that is causing low

This answer was rated:

My 9 year old boy is stuttering and feel that is causing low self esteem. I need help.

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how worrisome and distressing this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving and caring parent and seeing your son go through this distress is very difficult. That it is leading to self worth issues is common to almost all children who have stuttering issues. Children as a whole have difficulty with those who are different in almost any way. And stuttering singles out a child among his peers.

Stuttering is more common in boys as well. There are two common causes for stuttering: developmental/genetic and emotional. Differentiating between these two general causal areas will need to be done by professionals. Getting professional help, then, for your son while he's still young can help him feel better about himself and to even perhaps control the stuttering for the rest of his life.

The first stop should be to his doctor. Your doctor will then give you a referral to a speech/language pathologist. This is the most common professional referral for diagnosis and possible treatment.

The doctor and/or speech pathologist may also recommend a psychologist who specializes in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) to work with your son. You should feel free to discuss such a referral also. This can be extremely helpful not only for working on the stuttering itself but also for the self worth issues you've already seen are present. The psychologist can also help you and the rest of the family with tools for helping your son, which can be so useful. So if the doctor or speech pathologist do not bring this up, please consider doing so and adding this professional to your son's team.

There are no medications for stuttering. So given that pharmacological treatment is not an option, try to gather the full spectrum of professionals I've discussed above. In the case of stuttering, the more help he can get, the better the outcome will be. So don't be shy in asking for help.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you