How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5808
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What do i do? my psychiatrist would like to discharge me but

This answer was rated:

What do i do? my psychiatrist would like to discharge me but i feel i need more professional help. i was diagnosed some years ago with schizo-affective disorder. i havent had a relapse from this for about 6 years. but i have other problems for example, i sleep alot- need at least 10 hours sleep a night and sometimes sleep 13hours a night. i also have a problem with spending money- shopping makes me feel good for a time and then i feel guilty when i get home because it just ends up being left unopened in my room and also alot of the time i am spending more money than i actually have. i work part-time but when im there i feel dizzy and distant alot of the time. what professional help is there for me? thanks in advance. Anne
Hello Anne, I would like to help you with your question.

If you feel you need more help, then it is fine to continue with another therapist. You may want to appeal to your family doctor about your needs or if it is possible, talk to the supervisor of your psychiatrist. Point out that without the support you have now, you feel your symptoms and overall situation would get worse. Emphasize the benefits you feel you have gotten from the support of therapy and that you feel you have worked very hard to get to where you are now. If you end up without therapy, you feel you could decline in functioning.

Make sure to write down everything you can think of in favor of you staying in therapy. That can help you not only recall what you need to when you talk to others, but it can serve as a way to make your case even stronger if you appear to have thought this out and you remain logical and reasonable rather than emotional.

Also, be sure that your psychiatrist is aware of your current symptoms. And if he/she wants to discharge you, ask what you are supposed to do if you feel worse and are unable to function. Be direct about your needs.

You can also appeal to mental health advocacy for assistance in your situation. They can provide someone who can support your needs and who may even be able to advocate for you. Here is a resource to get you started:

I hope this has helped you,

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you very much for the positive rating and bonus. I appreciate it!

Take care,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi kate. thank you for your helpful advice. i was also wondering if you could advise me on what kind of help there is available on the nhs- would a pschotherapist be suitable for me? or do u need more information from me to answer this? Anna

I am not as familiar with the NHS as I am located in the U.S. but I can help to with what kind of therapist is most appropriate for you. The degrees might be a bit different, but it gives you a general idea of what professional is most helpful.

It is best to see a Master's level therapist or a Ph.D. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor trained in psychology as you already know. They mostly prescribe medications. Someone with a Master's degree or Ph.D. however just does therapy.

You want to find someone who has either a M.S., M.Ed, M.A., or M.S.W./L.S.W or equivalent in the U.K (MSc). These are some of the most common degrees for therapists. Other initials are usually extra certifications or licenses.

The type of therapy that would be most helpful is Cognitive Behavioral therapy. That type of therapy can help you identify your thoughts and change them so you can change how you feel. You can find a therapist that specializes in CBT or someone who uses an "eclectic" style which includes different types of therapy tailored to your needs.

To find a therapist, talk with your doctor for a referral. You can also search on line at:

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks so much for your help. best wishes . anne

Take care!