Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I just scored a 43 on the Adult ADD test....I have tried to

visit psychiatrists but they wanna...
I just scored a 43 on the Adult ADD test....I have tried to visit psychiatrists but they wanna charge $500 for inital consult and I cant afford..I know I have this disorder and it is ruining my life.....Is there any lower cost alternatives for Doctors??? Im in Union COunty N J
2/13/2013
TherapistMarryAnn
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.
There are lower cost alternatives to getting treatment for Adult ADD, including seeing a doctor, therapist and self help. Here is a list of resources in your area that can help you:
http://ucnj.org/government/human-services/division-of-planning-hs/mental-health-services
http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/dmhs/services/centers/
www.unitedway.org
Also, learning more about the disorder can help. ADHD/ADD is not considered a learning disability. For adults who have the disorder, it is characterized by trouble concentrating, organizing tasks, remembering information and completing work on time. Up to 10% of children are diagnosed with ADHD and 60% of those carry the disorder into adulthood.
The criteria for Adult ADD is different than with children. Here are some common symptoms you might experience with the disorder:
Anxiety
Chronic boredom
Relationship problems or Marital Difficulties
Impulsiveness
Tendency to overlook details
Not paying attention during conversations, inability to listen well (in any conversation)
Easily distracted
Emotional difficulties
Impulsivity
Medications can do wonders. The medications work by stimulating the pre frontal cortex of the brain. This area of the brain remains in a less mature state (ability to organize) and has trouble dealing with the impulses from the central part of the brain where wants and desires emerge. The medication simply "wakes up" the pre frontal cortex further and allows it to function as it should.
These medications do have some side effects such as possible sleep issues and changes in appetite. However, for short term use, they are usually considered safe.
To find out if you have ADHD/ADD, an evaluation with a mental health therapist (Master's level or above) can provide you with a diagnosis and treatment options. You can use the resources above or talk to your doctor about a referral.
You can also use self help and support groups to help control your symptoms, if you have ADHD/ADD. Here are some resources to help:
http://www.helpguide.org/mental/adhd_add_adult_symptoms.htm
http://www.add.org/
You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?!: The Classic Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder by Kate Kelly, Peggy Ramundo and Edward M. M.D. Hallowell
I hope this has helped you,
Kate

Thank you for your help....I actually had a friend let me try her Focalin and I could see an immediate difference in my ability to focus at work..I know its not a good idea to test meds like that but it was amazing how it helped.....Made me think perhaps im not just lazy or inept and that a solution is possible!!!!!

You're welcome!
You are not lazy or inept, definitely not. And if you are reaching out like you are today, that most likely indicates this is an issue rather than just laziness. Plus it proves that you are motivated to seek help, a very good sign!
Take care and if I can be of any more help to you, let me know,
Kate
May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist