Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

I have been taking sertraline 50mg for 5 weeks felt ok then

I have been taking sertraline 50mg for 5 weeks felt ok then started to feel panicky again so it was increased to100mg 2 weeks ago also during these weeks i was given diazepam 2mg which i took when necessary morning and night.I am now starting to cut valium down to half tablet a day as i only have 6mg left.Prior to cutting this back i am feeling anxiety again and each morning my bp is low and my pulse is 120-130.I am wondering am i still adjusting to the increased dose of lustral or is it cutting back on the diazepam eventhough i do feel better i have in these last few days felt more withdrawn ,shaky and dizzy like i will faint and i just wonder what could be happening

Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about your discomfort.

Bill :

Some of the most common side effects of Sertraline are dizziness, tremor or shakiness and this could very well be the result of you having increased this medication to 100mg- your body is still adjusting to the medication.

Bill :

It appears from what you have written that you are under a Doctors care.

Bill :

If these symptoms persist for more than a few more days, I would encourage you to contact your Doctor to at least keep them in the loop as to what is going on.

Bill :

Cutting back the Valium is probably a good idea if so advised by your Doctor. The fact that you have not been taking it for more than a couple of weeks does not present any significant withdrawal complications -however- symptoms that you describe are also associate with Valium withdrawal.

Bill :

Detailed information on Sertraline is here:

Bill :

Again- if the anxiety persists or worsens- you should talk to your Doctor about increasing the medication. Depending on your unique needs this can be increased to as much as 200mg per day.

Bill :

You also want to continue to monitor your pulse and notify your Doctor if it does continues at this rate. In many situations this is a result of anxiety and panic........information on which I will attach below

Bill :

If you have further questions for me- feel free to ask- I am happy to help.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating So that I receive Credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi

I think the way i worded was a little misleading i have had valium since initially starting the sertraline which is approx 7 weeks though i never took the full dosage ,is this then more likely to be benzo withdrawl and do i need to go to the DR for advice about stopping them properly? Ive also heard that sertraline can have an effect on the heart and can cause arrythmias i do get palpitations is this true?

Thanks

Hello Janice-

Sertraline can cause Heart palpitations and associated chest pain.

The question is often if this related to medication or a anxiety or a combination of each.

If you have been on Benzo for 7 weeks - it is then more likely that you have to wean off more slowly- the standard suggestion to avoid side effects is to reduce by 10% per 7-10 days.

2 mg is not a large dose but everyone is different. If you have tried to cut in half after 7 weeks of daily use you are most likely going to have some withdrawal symptoms as which as similar to what you are experiencing.

If I were you, I would Call the Doctor and ascertain the best weaning schedule for your unique needs. My sense is that this is likely the Valium vs the Sertraline based on the additional information you have provided.

Give your Doc a call, you will feel better and be on the right track.

Kindest regards, Bill