Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Dr. Mark is a PhD in psychology in private practice
50444359

I recently discovered a relationship happening between my

I recently discovered a relationship happening between my wife and neighbor. They claim the could not have had sex because he is on cymbalta and suffering from irrectile dysfunction. I know thats not enough proof they didnt...im not an idiot...so please no answers about just move on and stuff.. but also i was wondering she is taking methadone and i believe they both drink alot of alcohol .. i know he has taken the methadone with the cymbalta. Is there any clinical proof that any of these 3 combos would actually increase sex drive?

Hi! I'll be glad to be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how distressing and heartbreaking this situation must be for you. Your wife's disloyalty is very painful in this. The question of whether they have had sex or not is very emotionally charged and painful, I 'm sure.

Cymbalta is an SNRI, which is a type of antidepressant. This class and most of the other antidepressants do diminish sexual desire and some people experience erectile dysfunction. But that is not a common side effect to have total erectile dysfunction. More common is some diminishing of sexual desire.

Methadone acts as an inhibitor of sexual appetite and sometimes does cause total impotence. This, again, is not so frequent, though more than with Cymbalta. But it does tend to significantly diminish sexual appetite in significant numbers of people. It's not that well studied in women as in men given that impotence is more of a factor in male sexuality.

Alcohol is a depressant. It diminishes sexual ability. However, it also diminishes inhibition. So that may be what you're actually thinking of and are concerned about more than increased sex drive. None of these three increases sex drive, but alcohol certainly will diminish inhibition. The combination may also diminish inhibition.

Again, I'm sorry you're going through this. It sounds as though the disloyalty is there whether they had intercourse or not, so that may be equally painful.

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the effects in men are very low with the cymbalta and methadone.. but is there any chance mixing the 3could cause adverse effects? I heard rydalin in a calm person would make then hyper... seems a cymbalta.methadone.alcohol would be a powerful force high and could reverse low sex drive
No. They are not a powerful high. They are a powerful low.

Ritalin is a stimulant, that's what you're referring to. Although Adderall, which is also a stimulant used to treat ADHD is the more popular one with college students: they mix it with alcohol as the alcohol heightens the Adderall, or vice versa. That's what you've probably heard about.

But Cymbalta is an antidepressant, not a stimulant. As is methadone. Heroin is not a stimulant, it's an opiate; methadone was developed to treat heroin to simulate some of the effects.

But again, if your question is whether it would render him impotent, it could. Is it common? No.

Can the combination make them high so they have more sex than they would without it? Doubtful. But it might make them less inhibited to have sex.

I wish you the very best!