TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
54658078

I have a daughter with a complex PTSD OKMH209211

I have a daughter with a complex PTSD who have numb and sometimes depersonalization and derasjonalisering and numbness - which treatment is recommended

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am the Moderator for this topic. Your question regarding PTSD may be better and more quickly answered if placed in to the Mental Health Category...would you like for me to move it there for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry but if you can forward it I become very thankfulness

Thank you….hopefully it won’t take too much longer for me to find the right Professional for you!Please don't respond to this as it may prevent the Professionals from accessing your question. Thank you for your continued patience.

Camille

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

If your daughter has complex PTSD, then the symptoms you describe- depersonalization and numbness- can be attributed to the PTSD as part of the disorder. These symptoms are also common with anxiety, which is part of PTSD. So the symptoms are not unusual at all. A person who has been traumatized will "remove" themselves through depersonalizing and being numb as a protective measure. It is often a way for the mind to disengage from the environment as a way to separate from the horror and shock of the trauma.

To help your daughter, therapy such as CBT (Cognative Behavioral therapy)is the best option. With someone who has complex PTSD, it is important to work on their interpersonal relationships as a way to help the person develop healing relationships with others. The need to feel connected and therefore safe is important. Helping the person find their own power is important as well. With PTSD, it is common for a person to feel they have no control over their environment. By helping them talk about what they can control, they can see the power they do have then build on it from there.

Also, help your daughter deal with the numbness and depersonalization by connecting her to her environment. Touching, smelling and using her other senses can make her feel she is part of her world rather than separate from it. This can reduce the feeling of numbness and being "far away" from the world which is often caused by the fear and trauma.

Here is a resource that may help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/post_traumatic_stress_disorder_symptoms_treatment.htm

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Experience: Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Here is another resource that may help your daughter:

http://outofthefog.net/Disorders/CPTSD.html

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!
Thank you very much for the positive rating and very generous bonus! I appreciate it.

My best to you and your daughter,

Kate