How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5809
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson has started cutting himself. where do we go to

This answer was rated:

My grandson has started cutting himself. where do we go to get him assessed?
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It depends on what your grandson is saying about why he is cutting himself. If he is expressing that he wants to kill himself, then you need to bring him to the local ER immediately. Any concerns about his well being means he needs emergency care. The doctors and nurses at the ER can do an evaluation and determine if your grandson needs admitted for his own safety.

If your grandson is unsure of why he is cutting himself or says that he is doing it to make himself feel better, than indicates that he might have a disorder called Borderline personality disorder. Although it is not as common in males as it is in females, it is possible that he is showing symptoms, one of which is cutting to let out the emotional pain.

If your grandson is cutting to let out his emotional pain, then he needs to see a therapist as soon as possible. Contact your doctor for a referral, or search on line at Do this only if your grandson's cuts are superficial. You may also want to take him to see his doctor if you are unsure or just want to have him seen quickly.

I hope this has helped you,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He is cutting for emotional release. He has been seen at Alexian Brothers and was in an outpatient teen program for anger management. He was also hospitalized for 6 days when he became violent towards his siblings. We live in Brookfield IL. Can you give us some nearby alternatives since Alexian didn't seem to help?

I am not personally familiar with your area, but the link I gave in the original answer can help you find good therapists. Just put in your zip code and the therapists in your area including a description, specializations and contact information comes up. That can help you pick a therapist that will help your grandson. He doesn't necessarily need a center or group therapy to get help so individual therapy might be more effective for him.

Here are some other resources:

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you