Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Been in therapy for at least 8 years. Diagnosed with

Been in therapy for at...

Been in therapy for at least 8 years. Diagnosed with moderate anxiety about 3 years ago. Currently taking celexa and klonapin to help with panic attacks and triggers. Recently had to change therapists due to scheduling conflicts. Most of my past therapists have been of the compassion, talk, work through issues, with no pre-determined agenda. This therapist wants to have clear goals (fine), an ending date for therapy (scary to me but dealing with it) She also wants to structure our sessions like a classroom. Is this really a psychological practice?

2/6/2013
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist

Q: "Is this really a psychological practice?"

A: Hi Chris,

Yes; different therapists have different therapeutic approaches to working with clients. It sounds like your current therapist may be favoring approaches such as: Solution Focused Therapy, CBT, REBT i.e short term therapies.

Generally, when a client enters treatment, there should be a clear idea about what the goal behind the therapy sessions is. Without a clearly defined goal or without proper tools to address it, the sessions can resemble Freud's free association. This is may not be helpful for many individuals as they find themselves going in circles without focusing on specific issues (emotions, behaviors, thoughts) that they want to work through.

You may want to ask this therapist what is her "theoretical orientation." Meaning, what style(s) of psychotherapy is she going to be using while working with you. A classroom setting can be a tool applied in different approaches. It is more of a hands on approach rather than the compassionate "Rogerian approach" (derived from Carl Roger's work) to treatment.

Ok, can a therapist using the Solution Focus Therapy become too caught up in getting her patient to the solution vs. really " listening" to what the patient says? How does a patient that is used to the calm of the Rogerian approach, adjust to what seems harsh in the Solution Focus Therapy? As this is a change to a new therapist, I'm trying to decide if 1) therapist is ok but her theoretical orientation isn't right for me. 2) I can get used to Solution Focus Therapy but this therapist is too driven towards her idea of where I should be. 3)therapist is ok but I'm just really struggling with the Solution Focus Therapy because I've had Rogerian style for so long. I'm trying to understand the facts to make an educated decision.
The therapist alone should not be the one defining what your treatment goals ought to be. You'd have to be the one to come up with these goals.
Solution Focused Therapy does not have to be harsh. If you perceive it as such, it may be her personality rather than the treatment style that does not correspond to what you'd want to see in a counselor.
A client used to a Rogerian approach can adjust to another approach as oneself is reminded that sometimes a lot of exploration and confrontation of issues can arise during therapy. These are to be worked on at the speed level that you are comfortable with.
An effective therapist should always listen to what the client is saying. Sometimes even silence can be indicative of what is going on.
Something that you may have to think about is whether or not wanting to talk about something versus another thing is not a sort of a defense mechanism on your part.
Of course, most of the work in any therapy situation (regardless of the therapeutic style) is done by the client not the counselor. The counselor ought to act as a sorting board for the client.
At no point should you be doing something just because the counselor had suggested it and would want to let her know why i.e. not feeling ready, not feeling comfortable, not understanding why, etc.
You could decide to give this therapy/approach a chance and not have to decide right away whether you like these or not. Rather, see if what she's offering can work for you.
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist