Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

Hi there, I have a question regarding crying. I have been

Hi there, I have a question regarding crying. I have been on Luvox and Xanax together for almost 12 years. I have OCD and Panic Disorder. Lately I have been feeling more down than usual. Normally it is hard to cry for me being on Luvox. I find myself wanting to cry now. Back in 2008 I had a crying spell for almost a day and thought my SSRI had completely pooped out. Is crying something I should try to do. How can I control it?  Also my psychiatrist says that crying is good for you and releases good chemicals to calm me down.  My therapist says that crying may not be such a good idea.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Customer:

Hi there,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Hello.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How often do you experience these crying spells?

Customer:

Honestly it has only happened for a long period of time about 4 years ago

Customer:

That is when my psychiatrist and I tried switching SSRI's then going back to luvox again.

Customer:

He says crying is a good thing if you can do it. My therapist said making myself cry probably not such a good idea. I was curious on your thoughts. I feel like if I can cry maybe it will help, but I don't want to cause a panic attack or crying spells.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Luvox is known to cause constant crying as a side effect. It can also increase depression and suicidal thoughts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Crying can be very good to purge some of your negative feelings. I agree

Customer:

I have had quite the opposite reaction to luvox. I have felt it hard to cry being on SSRI's normally. I am afraid I am building tolerance to the medication after 12 years.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

However, when it is a side effect of a drug, it is a different matter.

Customer:

I guess lately I have just felt more down than normal.

Customer:

Not sure if it is because of my OCD/Anxiety attacks and lack of progress that I feel in general I should be right now with my life.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you had reasons to? Is it seasonal (due to the long nights of winter?)

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Can you characterize or describe your OCD?

Customer:

Well I may well be still mourning the loss of my grandma from November. She had Alzeihmer's and was 85. I dream about her frequently.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Then this may be a manifestation of grief. Dreaming about her frequently points in this direction.ds

Customer:

My OCD started off as doing compulsions because of obsessive thoughts I would have such as "I am going to die" or "something bad is going to happen." Luvox has relieved the OCD greatly than what it was 12 years ago. I still have many little compulsions.

Customer:

associating numbers with things

Customer:

repeating things

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Did these thoughts of death go with the panic attacks?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And have you had any psychotherapy with these repeating things and number associations?

Customer:

My panic attacks these days start typically with me focussing on a symptom in my body such as my left arm aching so immediately I think I am having a heart attack, or I might feel dizzy and think I am going to faint.

Customer:

I have seen a psychologist for about 14 years on and off and a psychiatrist twice a year for med checks. I think my psychologist just does not seem to help much anymore. He seems to be more of a venting session when I go.

Customer:

I would almost like to switch, but feel likeI would be almost abandoning someone who already knows everything about me.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Have you been taking any medication for your panic attacks?

Customer:

Luvox + Xanax for 12 years

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He doesn't know enough to help you.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

How do you take the Xanax?

Customer:

3 times a day at .5mg

Customer:

and if I have a panic attack more

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Who prescribes this to you?

Customer:

I went to a psychologist briefly that was certified by the OCF but it was too much. Her homework assignments were too much

Customer:

My psychiatrist prescribes the meds

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

OCF?

Customer:

Obessive Compulsive Foundation

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

He is not helping you after 12 years.

Customer:

He was at first very much.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

And, you should not be taking so much Xanax.

Customer:

No I feel I have outgrown his knowledge when it comes to anxiety and OCD. I think now I go see him more as a habit.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Xanax loses its effectiveness and you can also have great problems with it because it is addictive.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I understand, but I'm talking about TWO habits.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Xanax is a wonder drug, but it must be used in moderation.

Customer:

I always try to take as little xanax as possible. I am prescribed 2.5 MG per day in case but typically take 1.75 to 2 MG max. My Psychiatrist says he prescribes 4mg to some.

Customer:

I would love to be off of xanax but it helps with the OCD as well. I feel it has almost caused more panic though. It seems like I can feel after 4 or 5 hours the withdrawal coming on.

Customer:

So back to the crying, do you experience many people that cannot cry on SSRI's?

Customer:

Or it is really hard?

Customer:

Two habits?

Customer:

Hello?