How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have horibble mood swings periods of when I wont even

Customer Question

I have horibble mood swings periods of when I wont even speak. I love my husband but i have become so paranoid of him looking at other women here latley that I dont even want to watch animated movies with females in them. And my paranoia is causing a rift in our relationship. Somedays i feel great and I stop taking my lumiday and I spiral down fast. I have done some crazy things to him in the past, and recently I tried to leave when I became overwhelmed and he jumped on the hood of my car in attempts to stop me...and to his suprise it didnt. I preceeded to drive down the road 50mph and then slammed the breaks off. My mother is bi-polar and sometimes I wonder if Im going crazy. Is it possible that I have BD as well?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are struggling with all of this and hoping that your husband is okay from the incident you described above! You seem to understand that your behavior with driving that fast with your husband on the hood of the car is not normal behavior to say the least and extremely dangerous! You question is whether or not you could have Bipolar Disorder. The information you provided here sounds "Bipolar-ish", however the best would be for you to have an evaluation by a psychologist or psychiatrist who could do a thorough assessment to better determine what is going on here. There are other diagnoses that could be more appropriate than Bipolar for you, but again best if a professional evaluates you face to face. I see you are taking medication, so assuming you are seeing someone. If this is not a psychiatrist or psychiatric nurse practitioner, I would advise you see one of those professionals instead. I am wondering if you have issues with abandonment from your childhood, adolescence, or early adulthood?
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Dear friend,

I have previously answered your question.

This reckless behavior may be a sign of mania, which is an aspect of bipolar disorder. There is also a possibility that you have Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD).

May I ask if you self-injure in any way? Particularly cutting !

Were you abused or abandoned when young? They way your react to other females threatening you vis-a-vis your husband is very much like threats real or imagined that characterize BPD.

There are hereditary aspects of bipolar disorder, and perhaps of BPD as well.

Abuse or neglect in a family are also learned traits that can be carried down and produce generations of people who have developed BPD, and have also learned such responsesl

I suggest seeing a therapist who has expertise in both bipolar and personality disorders.

I wish you the best.

Warm regards,