Dr. G.
Dr. G., Psychologist
Experience:  Licensed Psychologist.
15682972

I was diagnosed as having a hypomanic episode 12 years ago

I was diagnosed as having a hypomanic episode 12 years ago when I got sober I have been on medication ever since and depressed most of the time. I believe I was misdiagnosed and my initial 'high' was the result of coming off alot of booze and drugs

Dr. G. :

So for the past 12 years you have been taking medication based on that initial diagnosis?

Customer:

Some yes antidepressants introduced later recently upped the dose

Dr. G. :

If you are totally clean off alcohol and drugs then I think you might want to get an updated psychiatric evaluation. The drug use could have mimicked manic symptoms.

Customer:

I agree but unless extremely ill Its almost impossible to get a psychiatric appointment. I have asked my GP and she says she can't refer me; basically said impossible to get an appointment. Any suggestions? She is very loathe for me to come of medication

Dr. G. :

So your main symptom is depression? Can you describe a little about what that looks like for you?

Customer:

Apathy,, no joie de vivre, hard to get out of bed, sleeping alot haven't worked programme well enough I'm not good enough have'nt done much with sobriety haven't achieved much etc etc Today not too bad.

Dr. G. :

So no excessive energy, no needing to sleep, feeling grandiose?

Customer:

no grandiosity quite the reverse. and sleeping a lot

Dr. G. :

Ok, so obviously the medication is not working. Your GP is not willing to switch it?

Customer:

I am not sure we are really addressing the problem I don't think I need the medication. I follow a 12 step programme

Dr. G. :

Ok, so do you need to try a different addiction program or increase the amount of treatment?

Customer:

no 12 steps fine