Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Music torture"....can a person be adversely affected if they

Customer Question
"music torture"....can a person be...

"music torture"....can a person be adversely affected if they are subjected to unwanted excruciatingly loud music of a type they do not necessarily enjoy? Loud music was played by my neighbors when they saw me in my yard, they remained inside while the music was blaring. My husband has Dementia and he would put his hands over his ears and wince, then go inside. I would be subjected to this loud music for as long as I remained outside, then when I went in, it stopped. This happened on multiple occassions, many of which are confirmed by a hand held camera and/or security tape footage. It was deliberate. It was meant to make me uncomfortable, and the fact it was happening was extremely upsetting to me.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/2/2013
Mental Health Professional: Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist replied 4 years ago
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

The use of music to torture people has a long history and is extensively documented.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Back in the late 60s or early 70s, a very famous case of an American general (Dozier) was in the headlines. He was captured and tortured with heavy-metal music for weeks until his released.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Music is currently a means of torture used against alleged terrorists by the US and other militaries.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here are two interesting articles that will bolster your case, particularly the second which has many other references.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Music torture can disrupt sleep, cause extreme anxiety, disorientation, depression, and can even lead to suicidal thoughts.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Here are the articles:

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

This kind of torture can even lead to long-term problems such as Posttraumatic Stress Disorder, because it IS torture and severe mental abuse.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That this was done on purpose.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

If they have the money to pay, I urge you to go for psychological testing with a psychologist who works with the courts in order to write the kind of report that you need to bolster your case and give teeth to the very legitimate argument that you have for large compensation.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I shall keep you in my prayersl]

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,l

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC

Yes, it seems from my reading it may have started back in Biblical times when God blared tumpets! LOL...however, I need something a bit more definitative...like where can I find an expert (or professional reading or something that a judge can review) to convince the Judge I was harmed? I KNOW I was harmed, I know my husband was harmed, but his condition has worsened to the point where he cannot understand or use the spoken language, so its up to me to say how much damage was done...and say it in a way that will convince a Judge to "inspire" my neighbors to behave so I can live out the rest of my life in peace. YES, what they did is also a violation of our County Ordinances, and they were advised of that and ultimately stopped after almost two summers of "music torture" to us. They were sued for intentionally causing me emotional distress, and now I have to prove the DAMAGE done.

Dear Eugenia,

I believe that our correspondances crossed and that I have addressed all the issues in your follow-up letter.

A strongly advise you to get a psychological report from a psychologist who specializes in such reports for court. It will be an invaluable tool for you.

I wish you great success.

Warm regards,

Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist

Thanks for your answer. I had those two cites already, but it is nice that you with your experience has also recommended them. My counselor is going to write a report. We don't have anyone with expertise in music torture, but I will show your reply to my attorney and my counselor.

As to the answers...something strange is happening...I am getting "double" answers and seeing "double" questions...but the first answer ended after your first three lines...needless to say, I was disappointed with the truncated answer.

Then I got a message from the system telling me that I could not ask more than one MH question in 30 days...(the system was showing two even though I had only asked one---and a follow up because the system didn't show me your full answer.

Frankly, had you not replied with your full response, I would have not given you a good rating OR a tip, because I was under the false impression your answer was three lines long and that I couldn't ask a follow up to it.

You may wish to inform the moderator or system administrator that there is an issue and I will do the same from my end.

Thanks for your response (beyond the first three lines!).

In the process of cutting this and pasting into a word doc to provide to my counselor who is writing report and attorney for whom you have a recommendation, this code "OKMH202211" was translated...it means that my question was orgianally marked as being from someone who is "suicidal"...this is NOT the case, I assure you. Evidently you reached this conclusion yourself because the police did not arrive! Is it possible to remove this code from my question in the event that someone else knows what it translates to? Is it possible this is why the question was asked "twice" and your answer was abbreviated??

Dear Eugenia.

This document was marked OK MH meaning that you had a subscription rate and it needed special permission to allow someone to answer a Mental Health question that is from a subscriber.

It might also be used to designate someone who states they are suicidal and who is then OKd to be answered. THAT WAS NEVER YOUR CASE.

I wish you great success and God's blessings.

Warm regards, Elliott
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist

I sort of freaked out when I saw " SMS Text Alerts Are you sure you want to mark this question "Suicidal Customer"? If you do, the question will be closed and an
email will be sent to the customer with links and phone numbers to suicide
prevention resources. Thank you for taking the time to report this."

Regardless all is well, I got something to show and discuss with attorney...I don't think he planned to have me tested so it will open up that discussion.

thanks again.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist