Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Im not sure why im angry. which mental health practitioner

Customer Question
Im not sure why im...

Im not sure why im angry. which mental health practitioner will be best at helping me figure why im angry? and what types of methods or strategies can they use to help me figure out why im angry?

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/2/2013
Mental Health Professional: Dr. L, Psychologist replied 4 years ago
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

I always recommend that you start at the top with the highest degree professional with the longest career. So that means that you see a licensed psychologist. And, the more years in practice the better.

Dr. L :

The particular expertise you would be looking for is someone with cognitive behavioral training. This means that they would help you look at your irrational thoughts and faulty beliefs. Another area of expertise would be mindfulness. Those who use these theories would help you to learn to accept your life situation and stay focused on the present.

Dr. L :

One good resource for finding a therapist is www.psychologytoday.com

Dr. L :

When you go to the website you will see an icon on the home page: Find A Therapist.

Dr. L :

Here you can list your city and zip code and you will be provided with a list of therapists with their biography, including degree, years in practice, type of training, and so forth.

Dr. L :

I see you have come online.

Dr. L :

I will wait for your response.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Customer:

hello DR.L everything looks good but i disagree with you on seeing the highest degree professional. just becouse a professional has a high degree, doesnt mean that professional is the right one for me. so your advice is for me to see a psychologist, you mean a counseling psychologist that knows cbt right. so cbt can help me figure why im angry. thank you.

Dr. L :

Hello...

Dr. L :

Yes...I agree that just because they have the highest degree doesn't mean they are the right one....but that would be true at every level of credential. In the field of psychology the person with the highest degree has the most education and training...and those years of additional training and education can make a huge difference in terms of the kind of treatment you will receive. The same is true when looking at years of practice. Someone with 10 years of practice is going to know more than someone with 2 years of practice. That is because they will have much more clinical experience having seen and worked with more clients, and likely a wider range of therapeutic issues.

Dr. L :

The "right" therapist can only be determined by meeting the therapist face-to-face and assessing whether you feel comfortable with this person, whether you can come to trust them, and whether you decide that they have the skills and abilities to work with you.

Dr. L :

And yes...I am referring to a Ph.D. or Psy.D. level psychologist who practices CBT...or alternatively has a practice in which they use mindfulness techniques.

Dr. L
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist