Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I get frustrated easily and i find it hard to let go of the

Customer Question
feelings. I also get bored...
I get frustrated easily and i find it hard to let go of the feelings. I also get bored easily. My partner says I am angry but I thinks she confuses my frustration for anger. I certainly don't get physically angry.I would like to understand what she means by angry. She isn't the only one to say this but none of the people who say this walk around on eggshells because of it. They say they would just prefer for me to be more easy going. I can sympathise with them because I although I know in a way what they are talking about I have no idea of what to do about it or even whether these are not normal feelings that everyone has. I consider myself to be no more uptight than the next guy but there is obviously something at play here that I would like to be more self aware of.....Kevin
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/31/2013
Mental Health Professional: Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness replied 4 years ago
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

I am happy to help with this.

Anger or anger as you describe is often regarded as depression turned inward- meaning that feelings from the past are repressed and come out as you describe and one has difficulty understanding or having insights as to their origin.

Therefore, it is most likely that this anger relates to your past- emotions that were not or could not be expressed later in life come out "sideways" as anger.
Trace this and you will gain insight.

Review the following links and see if this makes sense to you and your relationship(s)

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/male-depression/MC00041

http://www.goodtherapy.org/blog/irritable-angry-depression-experience/

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/depression_men_male.htm

This information will give you more insight and my suggestion would be that you seek counseling to help deal with this. We know that unresolved anger gets worse in time if not treated and thus it would benefit you to have this evaluated and treated so that you can move forward in life and leave anger behind.

If you have additional questions- please feel free to respond- I am happy to help.

Kindest regards, Bill

Hi Bill, Thanks for the answer. Just a quick follow up question.. You say that past emotions are repressed and one has difficulty understanding their origins..With this in mind, by what methods are the origins discovered and how long does this process take. You suggest having any unresolved anger evaluated and treated. How do I go about this? Is this something I would see a psychologist or Psychiatrist for, or is there another specialist that would be preferable. I don't have any recollection of past events that would spurn a repression of anger other than the usual downs side events in life such as divorce and the like. Any of these events, although trying at the time, I think I have managed to navigate fairly well. Any other insights would be appreciated and thanks again. Regards, Kevin

Kevin-

There are many issues that can result in a person having repressed anger.

Family of origin issues- issues related to divorce- addiction/alcoholism in the extended family.

If you speak to a therapist- they will will help you identify what is at the core of these anger outbursts that are effecting you life.

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/anger-management-tips-for-adults.html

Any Licensed Therapist or Counselor / Psychologist can help you with this.

You can go to the Following website and find additional information on anger in men and contact their help line for qualified experts in your area.
http://www.mensline.org.au/Managing-anger.html

I trust this will help- if there is anything else I can do - let me know.

Otherwise, I wish you the very best.

Bill

I appreciate your positive rating so that I receive credit for my time

Thank you
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness