Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Experience:  35 years treating individuals, couples, families with mental health and substance abuse prob's
48585111

What is the optimum reduction strategy for a patient who has

What is the optimum reduction strategy for a patient who has been on 45mg of zispin since 14th December 2012 (and on 15mg and 30mg for one week each prior to that)? Is reducing over the course of 9 nights 3 x 45mg; 3 x 30 mg and 3 x 15mg too rapid?
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am happy to help with this.

Bill :

When tapering from Antidepressants it is best to reduce dosages buy no more than 25 % per week to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

Bill :

Therefore, trying to wean off in 9 days is to fast.

Bill :

You should take at least a week before reducing.

Bill :

See following link which provides detailed information on withdrawal from this and other Antidepressants -from one of the world leading authorities in the subject-Dr. C. Heather Ashton:

Bill :

Unless otherwise advised by your Doctor, the above guidelines should make this a smooth transition for you.

Bill :

Kindest regards, Bill

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I receive credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you.,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi BIll,

you say :

"When tapering from Antidepressants it is best to reduce dosages buy no more than 25 % per week to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms.

Therefore, trying to wean off in 9 days is too fast.

You should take at least a week before reducing."

Do you mean that I should take 30mg for a week, then 15mg for a week? I have been on zispin 45mg for almost 8 weeks. The only lower doses available to me are 30 and 15.

Also, when I am finally weaned off, if I need to go on effexor, what gap should be left between the drugs? Thanks and regards Alice

Hi-

You can go for 45 to 30 to 15 mg but I would wean off by reducing dosage per week which is the standard protocol for Antidepressants.

Unless otherwise recommended by your Doctor it may be wise (depending how you feel) to go to 7.5 mg (by cutting the 15 mg in half) to make a complete 3 weeks (if you started from 30mg today).

If you are going to wait and see before to determine whether you need Effexor, after weaning off- it can be started at anytime.

I trust this helps to clarify and wish you the very best.

Kindest regards,Bill