Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Hiya! I have been ill with something for about 8 weeks

Hiya! I have been...
Hiya! I have been ill with something for about 8 weeks now--it has progressively gotten better-symptoms include-chills and hot flashes, low grade fever,fatigue, nausea and extreme agitation jiterriness and shakiness-then part of the day I would be fine. then th enext week I would wake with plapitations, get sweaty hands, hot and cold flashes and my bp would shoot up...could last a few mins or hrs....after the shakiness I would have muscle weakness for hours--then it confined itself to just the mornings where I would be shaky and jittery and get extremely depressed(also these attacks had increased urination and diarhea) this has gone on and on--getting somewhat better each week-now I have a few of these attacks at night while I am sleeping--tested for just about everything-no answers. One of the drs mentioned that some of the symptoms could be anxiety--I have had some form of anxiety all my life--but nothing like this! Is it possible that this is all entirely anxiety??? or partly?? I am having the most anxiety about this illness!! why would I create MORE stress for myself?? can you wake up from sleep with an anxiety attack? I've had them before where I created the problem in my head, obsessing and stressing over something--but this is wayyyyy different. Now I know they are coming because I get hot and then cold and then shaky and restless...and then I get agitated about being sick--I am not currently obsessing about anything else?! Is this the flu that my gp originally thought or could it be anxiety (I had surgery a month before this started-major stressors physically and emotionally-but thought I was handling everything.
I did ask my gp for zoloft--I took it yesterday and today--also had a flu shot--and I am getting sicker again--2 "attacks" in 2 days...and they last for hrs...last night it went on for hours with hot and cold and shakiness-and waves of sensation going up and down my body....took 2 tylenol pm and slept about 4 and a half hr-then woke up and the minute I got out of bed it started up again with nausea....
could this be all anxiety? or more likely physical illness?
thanks for any ideas...info
1/27/2013
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill :

Hello- Thank you for asking the question. I have over 30 years of experience working with individuals, couples and families & am happy to reply.

Bill :

I am sorry to hear about the way you have been feeling.

Bill :

In reading what you have written it sound like you the FLU that is superimposed on anxiety, meaning that you have some anxiety and now that you have the flu your anxiety symptoms are intensified.

Bill :

You may also have a stomach flu which is causing the gastrointestinal symtoms.

Bill :

symptoms.

Bill :

Regardless, I you should seek medical attention for treatment of Flu related symptoms and I think you will feel better and less anxious.

Bill :

Options for FLU treatment are hear:

Bill :

Zoloft typically takes a couple of weeks before you have any significant relief from the anxiety and therefore is not helping at this moment.

Bill :

Just to be on the safe side, to make sure you don't get to dehydrated, seek medical attention today if possible.

Customer:

Thank you-! can I ask if you think if the zoloft or the flu shot is making me sicker right now? would zoloft give side effects at all right away?

Customer:

thanks-I've been to th drs over and over again--not dehydrated....

Bill :

Zoloft can cause some nausea but I do not think this is the primary issue- I think you have the FLU and the anxiety is secondary. FLU shots do not cause people to get the flu. That is a myth.

Bill :

I wish you the very best.

Bill :

Kindest regards,

Bill :

Bill

Customer:

thank you!

Bill :

I appreciate your Positive Rating so that I Receive Credit for my time.

Bill :

Thank you

Bill :

Feel Better!!!!!!

Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness
Bill
Bill
Bill, LCSW, Consultant, Expert Witness