Jean
Jean, Psychotherapist
Experience:  Masters degree in counseling, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
66147936

I have recently for the past 6months or so been feeling very

I have recently for the past 6months or so been feeling very anxious. Im an anxious person anyway however this seems to be more than normal. I have difficulty speaking with new people which is very hard in the job i do which is all customer service face to face. I always have the feeling that when im out in public everyone is watching me and when i speak to people always feel they are judging me on everything i am saying. I have trouble keeping eye contact and when i do and move my gaze i feel like the other person is thinking how strange i am. When i am lay in bed and all the thoughts race through my mind i cant seem to get my brain to settle and im constantly tossing and turning trying to leep it quiet. I dont hear voices or anything just cant seem to switch off. I feel also sometimes when i am with other people that they can hear some of my thoughts and i find myself thinking then switching what i am thinking incase the other people near can hear me i feel like i am actually speaking the thoughts even though i know im not. This only happens maybe once or twice a week but it lasts for just under an hour or so and is very distressing. I dont know what has brought this on as i have had no sudden changes or trama or anything happen. I am starting to think im going mad after reading things online. I just want to know what it is. Thank you
Jean N/20pluscounts :

Hello, I'd like to assist you-Welcome!

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Thank you for your question

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Are you able to engage in a live chat?

Customer:

yes

Jean N/20pluscounts :

What were you reading on line that scared you? Hello!!

Customer:

hello i just read a few posts on nhs website to do with mental health issues and connected them to myself

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You sound like you are aware you suffer from anxiety. It sounds triggere by social situations-social anxiety?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

We have to be careful on line we tend to find the worse case scenerio.

Customer:

yes i believe i do suffer from anxiety although i havent had medical confirmation but yes social situations and being around new people seem to trigger it

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It sounds like the exreme anxiety has led to what you describe

Customer:

I read a website about thought broadcasting which scared me as the people posting were all sxhizophrnics and i was worrying that i what i had

Jean N/20pluscounts :

anxiety is very common and very treatable

Customer:

does anxiety go hand in hand with depression as i dont believe i am depressed

Jean N/20pluscounts :

No someone with Schizo. wouldn't be aware as you are.

Jean N/20pluscounts :

anxiety can lead to some depressive symptoms

Jean N/20pluscounts :

The best treatment for anxiety is a combination of cognitive behavior therapy and meds

Customer:

i seem to pick up on peoples reactions and body language and potray it as a negative reaction to something i have said or done or i think i act strangely while i am out and about which causes people to look at me so i try and act normal and literally that is all i think about whilst out and about

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You have become hypersensitive

Customer:

is that from the anxiety?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Anxiety can lead to getting anxious about getting anxious-thinking and anticipation

Customer:

what would be the best thing i can do to stop this?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

You may have been senitive to begin with-yes anxiety can cause a heightened awareness-focus on self and thoughts

Jean N/20pluscounts :

First remind yourself you are not crazy

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Relaxation deep breathing, cognitive therapy-takes a look at thoughts and making them more realistic

Jean N/20pluscounts :

With anxiety you experience a body/physical response-need to find ways to soothe and relax

Customer:

I bought an anxiety self help book which i am getting through slowly when i have the time but i just keep worrying its more than that

Jean N/20pluscounts :

With anxiety we tend to think in extremes and negatively

Jean N/20pluscounts :

I think you are afraid and that alone can rev up symptoms

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Finding ways to get out of your head-the self help is good can really benefit you

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Sometimes a "worry" journal can help

Customer:

yes i think that is it iv began focusing on how i look how i act how i talk trying to make everything perfect and now i worry constantly about it i try and keep busy and im ok when i am around positive friends i dont even think about it

Jean N/20pluscounts :

If you stuggle on your own consider a cbt therapist- good friends good diversion

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Realizing there is lots in life we can not control can help one let go a bit

Customer:

could this spiral into anything worse? like mental illness?

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Perfectionism-sounds like-part of trying to relieve anxiety- "if I do things just right-won't feel anxious"

Jean N/20pluscounts :

No your fear is the anxiety speaking

Customer:

yes i am a perfectionist anyway and sensitive but these feelings seem to have just come on so sudden and im very aware of what im thinking and read others reactions alot more

Jean N/20pluscounts :

It sounds like anxiety and it escalates the more you "think" about it

Customer:

thank you i have to go now but you have been great in reassuring me im not crazy lol

Jean N/20pluscounts :

Not uncommon to hook onto something such as your current worry and have a hard time letting it go

http://psychcentral.com/ A good trusted website for additional information. Let me know if I can help again. Take Care!! Thank you for great rating too-I really appreciate it.