Ryan LCSW
Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience:  Individual and Family Therapist
16045978

Can you please help me understand what qualifications a

Hello. Can you please help me understand what qualifications a social worker (in this case one that works for CT DFS) must have? What type of training does a Social Worker generally require to work in children's services? Any information is appreciated.

Thanks for your question. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help you out.

As a social worker myself, I can tell you that in most states the requirement to be a social worker that works in Children and Family Services would be a Masters Degree and a License to practice. Most social workers are required to take courses pertaining to children and adolescent development, as well as courses in individual and family therapy techniques, ethics, and social theory. Once a social worker has completed their masters degree(generally two years full time), and pass the state licensing exam, they are certified to provide therapy and case management as long as they fulfill their continuing education requirements to maintain their license.

I hope that I've been able to answer your question, but if not, please let me know what additional information you're looking for. All the best,

Ryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What if they are a DFS "investigator"? How would I find out the requirements for a particular state? In this case CT.

Also, do you know what a "pcn #" is? or even what "pcn" might stand for?

This is on a list of all the workers in a department and I am trying to figure out what it might mean?

Thanks so much.

Sorry, I'm not located in CT so I'm not familiar with their particular requirements or what a pcn# ***** I'll opt out so that someone else can help you out.

Ryan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your honesty.

Once I rate your answer will my question automatically be sent for another expert to answer?

Thanks.

You are welcome to rate my answer and that would be appreciated, but it is not necessary. I've already opted out, so if there is someone who feels that they can answer this question, you will hopefully be hearing from them soon. Take care!

Ryan

Ryan LCSW, Mental Health
Experience: Individual and Family Therapist
Hello Lana-
Thank you for your question!
In general, DFS social services caseworkers and fieldworkers have a bachelors degree. However, some positions do require a licensed social worker, and in Ct. this means having a masters or even a doctorate degree plus 1-3 years of additional training and experience. Whatever their education level, the DFS workers usually have extensive training in child abuse and other pertinent issues. If the person in question is a licensed clinical social worker, s/he will have LCSW after the name.
I do not know definitely, but two strong possibilities for the initials you mentioned are a primary care nurse's license # or a health insurance(primary care network) provider #.
I hope this information proves to be helpful. I would be happy to supply any additional information should you need it. First, please rate my response using the star system so that I can be credited for my time. After that, feel free to give me any additional information on your situation along with further questions.
Good customer service is one of my highest priorities! Please use the REPLY tab with any issues that come up regarding the service you have received. Best regards, ***** *****!