Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

I am in solo practice with no record. I now find myself

Customer Question

I am in solo practice with no record. I now find myself however under the influence of etoh and opiates. Is there any outpatient solution to my problem? I am completely functional at my job but feel it may become out of hand in the future. What are my options other than giving up my practice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I believe that I can help.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There are two paths for helping you. You have no need to give up your practice.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I do not know what the reporting laws are in your state for getting onto a suboxone treatment program, but if you can remain anonymous then a strongly suggest enrolling in such a program or finding a doctor who can treat you privately. It is very effective for opiate addiction, and you may have to ease off the alcohol as well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

There seems to be ample anecdotal evidence that suboxone treatment will also help in alcohol withdrawal.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Chemically, it does not help, but being in the withdrawal frame of mind does help a great deal.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I highly recommend this book.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

http://www.assistedrecovery.com/beta/books.htm

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Will power has a lot to do with recovery, and suboxone will make the opiod part of it a lot easier.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You have so much at stake here: your entire career that you worked so hard for.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

That is a lot of positive leverage and momentum.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

What are your thoughts?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Why would you even consider giving up your practice?

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that having these obsessive thoughts are a part of the problem, and your compulsive response to your worry about failure is to drink or take painkillers.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Depression may be part of it.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I do not know what kind of therapy that you have had, if any, but I suggest that you may be suffering from an anxiety disorder, possibly OCD.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I suggest finding a worldly psychiatrist with whom you can establish a relationship and possibly go through the subaxone treatment and also discuss your worries about your future potential disintegration as a professional.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

You will probably benefit from the help of a therapist that deals with anxiety at well.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

I would have liked to have had some feedback from you, but at this point I will leave you to ponder what I have said. You are welcome to get back to me as needed, any time. I am at your service.

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott, MAE, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC