Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My son has suffered from depression and anxiety for three

Customer Question
years now, He has mood...
My son has suffered from depression and anxiety for three years now, He has mood swings and this scares him to death. His dr has had him on prozac for two and a half years. He isn't getting any better has days where he feels sick and can't eat. They just upped his prozac to 40 mil two weeks ago and he isnt feeling very well. They say give it a month. should they keep upping something that doesnt seem to help him much at all? for the first four days they upped it he felt great then after that bad again.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
1/2/2013
Mental Health Professional: Dr. L, Psychologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist
Dr. L :

Dr. L :

I would like to help you with your question.

Dr. L :

I am sorry that this is happening to your son...and to you.

Dr. L :

It might be time to see another provider. You don't say if he has been seen by a physician or a psychiatrist....but it certainly seems appropriate to be getting a second opinion.

Dr. L :

The best treatment for depression is medication in combination with therapy. Does he see a therapist? I encourage you to add this to his treatment regime. If you need help finding a therapist, let me know and I will assist you.

Dr. L :

Your son has suffered long enough and needs some real relief. Feeling scared by his mood swings is sad...and surely hard for you to see.

Dr. L :

I see that you are offline. I will be notified when you come back online and then we can chat.

Dr. L :

Thank you.

Dr. L
Dr. L
Dr. L, Psychologist