Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I take mirtazapine 30 mg i have been having heart racing in

i take mirtazapine 30 mg i have been having heart racing in moring when i wake up can this be a side effect and what should i do cant sleep with out it ?
Kindly mention your diagnosis?
Since when you are taking Mirtazapine and are you taking it daily or tried to skip the dose occasionally?
Do you feel anxious?
Any other symptoms you would like to mention?
Are you also taking any other medicines along with Mirtazapine?
Please answer these questions and I will get back to you as soon as possible.
Regards
Vikas
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
at night for sleep and dep .only when i wake my heart start racing,i have annxity and take clonazepam 0.5mg only when need makes me sleep. and other meds for regular health issues.still dep in day time.have hernia i take dexilant 60 mg,metoprolol tartrate 50 mg half in moring and half at night,and other meds thyroid ,diabetes ,high clestarol ,blood pressure ,accid reflux,and there are heart problems in family drs have not found anything wrong.thank you for answer me.
Thanks for your reply.
Rapid heart rate during morning when you wake up is not a side effect of Mirtazapine in my view. As you are still anxious and depressed it is possible that 30 mg of Mirtazapine is now not controlling your symptoms fully.
In such cases, a simple strategy could be to either increase the dose of Mirtazapine further to 45 mg per day or adding an augmenting agent like Fluoxetine (SSRI antidepressant)to 30 mg of Mirtazapine to augment its effect by your doctor.
There is no harm in using Clonazepam .5 mg for sleep or controlling anxiety symptoms on as and when needed basis till the above modifications are made in your treatment regime.
Just discuss with your doctor about the options I have mentioned and most likely after trying these treatment modification, you may notice a good improvement in your current symptoms of racing heart and difficulty in sleeping at night within 7-14 days.
Kind regards
Vikas
Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5 / smiley faces) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.
Bookmark my profile link in your browser. ( http://www.justanswer.com/mental-health/expert-drvikas/ )