How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Bonnie Your Own Question
Dr. Bonnie
Dr. Bonnie, Psychologist and RN
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2189
Experience:  35 years experience counseling children and families
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Bonnie is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son is 21 years old and has not slept for a few days,

Customer Question

My son is 21 years old and has not slept for a few days, acting paranoid, now he not responding to us at all, just sitttnig on the couch. Should we call 911, don't think he'll come to hospital vountarily.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using our service. My name is ***** ***** I will be answering your question today.

This must be very scary to you. It sounds like he may be having a psychotic reaction. If you call 911, they will not be able to take him involuntarily BUT they may be able to talk him into it. The other option is to call the police (especially of he has says anything about self-harm or harming others), they will be a bit more forceful in getting him to hospital but it is the more intrusive method.

In any event, I agree that he does need to go to the closest emergency room.

Warm regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So the police can't force someone to seek help, only if they are suicidal of threaten someone else?

Expert:  Dr. Bonnie replied 4 years ago.
that is may want to call them though...and see what they say about his unresponsiveness. I doubt that would be enough though.