How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Elliott, LPCC, NCC Your Own Question
Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 7664
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Elliott, LPCC, NCC is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is a long story but I will keep it short. My sister is

This answer was rated:

This is a long story but I will keep it short. My sister is 60 and schizophrenic. Started when she was 20. She lives with my parents. Dad is 92, mom is 84 and has alzheimers. I am 57 and retired on disability. My sister has threatened my father with a knife several times. Held it to his throat. My father can no longer take care of them and will have to move with my mom somewhere help is available. My question is how can my sister be institutionalized? She has lived in a few outpatient homes, but always leaves. What can I do in this situation? She refuses to take her medication while at home.

Thank you,

Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Dear Craig,
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I believe that I can help.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I am sorry for the sad situation facing your family.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Your sister has now made directed homicidal gestures, not mere verbal threats.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Were she not psychotic, she would be arrested and put in jail awaiting trial.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : She is a threat to your father's life and must be put into an institution.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : This is a matter for the police and for social services.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : She cannot be stabilized with medications at home because she refuses to take them.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You need to speak to your local and state police, to the department of social services, and to your county or district attorney.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is their duty to keep your sister from hurting either herself, or any others,including and especially for very vulnerable and aged parents.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If you do not get satisfaction from the authorities (and you should because this is their legal obligation), then contact an attorney (not one connected to the legal system, if that is possible), and let him or her hold their feet to the fire until they take the action that is their duty.
Customer: I have my dad on the phone. The police were out last week and gave him a couple of phone numbers. I think one was suicide prevention. does that sound like someone to call? If she is put in a facility, is it permanent?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : Suicide prevention is to talk someone out of killing themselves.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If she is put in an institution they will hold her until they feel she is stabilized.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If it is long-term, then they will decide.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You father can also ask they she be arrested and removed from the house if his life is being threatened at knife-point.
Customer: She's been arrested several times and always released after 3 days. What I've found so far is that these type of people are just turned out and usually end up homeless. Are any of these people like my sister held? I don't mean to sound like I just want to get rid of her, but I can't take care of her and she needs to be institutionalized probably the rest of her life
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : It is not a matter of you WANTING to get rid of your sister. You MUST get her out of your family's way. You have to make a choice.
Customer: So there are some that cared for in a locked facilty?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : You have to investigate what is available in your area.
Customer: I don't want to take up to much of your time so if I have other questions can I get in touch somehow or do I just come back to just answer?
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I will help you anytime. Just ask for me by name.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : If I have helped please don't hesitate to give me a positive rating.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : I wish you a very happy new year and hope that you can find a place that will take her. She is a poor, unfortunate victim of mental illness, but you must do what you can.
Customer: Thank you. I appreciate the help. Hope you have a happy new year also. Goodbye
Elliott, LPCC, NCC : God bless you and your family.
Elliott, LPCC, NCC and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions