How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have 9 years old boy who always forget giving homework

This answer was rated:

We have 9 years old boy who always forget giving homework sheet, weekly envelope to teacher, forgetting write his name on his work sheet and loosing his jacket at school every day. We have a system for homework sign between with his teacher and us. But sometimes he forgot to give the paper to teacher. We have been trying to improve his recall memory. But it still doesn't work. We are getting very frustrated with his "forgetting". Should we take him to child psychologist? How can we train his brain?
Please give us an advice. Thank you very much.
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
Let me ask you a few questions before I offer an answer:
When did this start?
Does he have any medical condition?
How are his sleep and appetite?
Has he ever had any behavior problem in the past?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Since he started 1st grade.

No, medical condition. He is very healthy.

His appetite is normal. He loves action and sports.

He is also good sleeper. Sometimes he still has toilet problem. It's getting better but once a while he make his bed wet.

No behavior problem. Always happy boy. Good grade at school.

Just he can't remember what he suppose to hand in.


Tonight, my husband got so mad at him. Because he forgot to give Tuesday folder yellow envelope to teacher. In this morning, my husband told my son to make sure that he will hand it in to teacher. But he didn't.

Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
I have one more question:
Does he have memory problems in general?
For example, he tends to forget other things as well?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would say "yes". If I ask him to do 2 things. He will do only one or sometimes none. Then I have to ask him to do what I say again.

For example, I ask him to wash teeth and fixing his hair. When he comes down stairs, he did only wash teeth. He forgot fixing hair.

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like your 9 year old son has trouble remembering things, especially school tasks.
He has no medical condition. He is healthy.
His appetite is normal. He sleeps well. He wets his bed occasionally. His general mood is happy.
He doesn't seem to be depressed or oppositional based on your report.
He might have memory problems. Or, he might have Attention deficit disorder (ADD). Indeed, children with ADD/ADHD exhibit disorganization, difficulty focusing tasks, and bed wetting.
I would advise you to take him to a child psychologist for assessment.
Getting an accurate diagnosis is important and a first step to treatment.
Even he may not have ADD/ADHD, he may need behavior therapy from a child psychologist to improve his memory around routines and schoolwork.
Perhaps, your son may benefit from working with a child psychologist or child psychotherapist providing behavior therapy weekly or bi-weekly. You may choose a child psychotherapist who is willing to work with him weekly or bi weekly so you can discuss any question/weekly progress with his therapist.
To find a Child Psychotherapist/Behavior specialist, you can call your insurance company and get a list of providers in your area.
Or ask his pediatrician for a referral to Child psychologist with the specialty.
Or, you can search a licensed CHILD psychologist or psychotherapist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Children. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she has the specialty.
You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you and he want to work with – Male or female? Old or young? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question.
Please let me know if you have more questions.
Best regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answer.

We have never seriously to take my son to child psychologist. I'm little shocked. Do you think if I take him to see the doctor, how he can be improved. What kind of training or therapy has? Could you tell me briefly, please?

Hi there,
Thank you for your reply.
You may take him to his pediatrician first.
Explain your concern - his memory issues.
Indeed, his doctor may give you some advice or refer him to a child psychologist for assessment.
Whether he has ADD/ADHD, he may need "behavior intervention.
A child psychologist may ask you to keep track of his routines and what he forgets daily for a week or so. Then, he or she may advise you to develop external structure as much as possible. Reward and praise are often used to reinforce his good behavior.
Let me know if you have a question.
Dr. Olsen and 2 other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much! I'll take him pediatrician. This is a great first step for us. Hopefully, his situation will be better than now. I think that he also suffer inside himself. He doesn't know how to do. Your great suggestion will change his future.

Thanks again!

Related Mental Health Questions