How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been dealing with anxiety and intrusive thoughts,

This answer was rated:

I have been dealing with anxiety and intrusive thoughts, things that i would never do. These thoughts are ruining my life. Please let me know how deal with them and u was also wondering If there is a vitamin i can take to help my anxiety. I think once i can learn to manage that the intrusive thoughts will go away. I am currently taking Niacin and it was helping me but stopped. Please help me.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did this start?
Have you had these symptoms in the past?
Are you currently under stress?
Do you have any medical condition?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I started to get anxiety almost 3 yrs ago when me and my husband started having problems. no i do not have a medical condition

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
Have you had marriage counseling?
Do you have children?
How old are they?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No we have not had marriage counseling. we are doing fine now yes i have one 4 yr old son. i have intrusive thoughts about him. i just need to know what i can take or what i can do. my heart is broken and i feell like im dying inside. i feel so alone.

Hi there
Thank you for your reply.
It sounds like you have anxiety, depression and intrusive thoughts (OCD/Anxiety disorder symptoms).
Perhaps, you wet through lots of stress over the past four years.
Anxiety may cause intrusive thoughts.
Symptoms of anxiety overlap those of depression.
You may need to start working with your primary care doctor and/or a psychotherapist.
First, I would advise you to get a physical check-up from your primary care doctor to detect and rule out any medical condition that may cause or contribute to your anxiety and OCD symptoms.
If you are physically fine, I would advise you to see a psychotherapist/counselor to express and process your feelings and thoughts and get advice and support WEEKLY. A combination of psychotherapy and pharmacotherapy are considered to be effective to treat Depression and anxiety. Cognitive-behvaior therapy (CBT) will work for depression and anxiety.
If you are not ready to work with a psychotherapist, first see your primary care doctor or a psychiatrist for medication evaluation.
If you are open to counseling, you may ask your doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that you can work with weekly. Or you may call your insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in your area.
Or, you can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as anxiety. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and anxiety. You may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that you want to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So you can see it as an informational meeting. You can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If you have no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in your area in which you can get counseling even without health insurance.
Regarding pharmacological treatment for anxiety, a number of antidepressant medications are available to treat anxiety.
Finding the right medication for you will likely take some trial and error. It is necessary for you and your doctor to work together to find the right medication for you.
Additionally, you may benefit from having a support group for mothers in your area. To find a group therapy or a support group for self, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for men. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
The website Daily Strength (www.dailystrength) offers an online support group including anxiety.
Also, a heart-healthy diet like Omega 3 fatty acid may improve your brain functioning and mood. Focus on fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose low-fat protein sources, such as fish, lean meat and skinless poultry. Hydrate yourself during daytime.
Physical activity increases blood flow to your whole body, including your brain. This may help reduce your intrusive thoughts.
In addition, yoga, biofeedback, acupuncture, and massage therapy may be helpful to improve your mood.
Other recommendations are:
Avoid excess use of alcohol and drugs.
Sleep in complete darkness and try to be out in bright light during the day.
Spend time in nature weekly
Have pleasurable activities with friends and family.
Choose to listen to sounds that have positive effects on your mood.
Set limits on the amount of time you spend on the internet to avoid information overload.
Please let me know if you have any question.
Best regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you