Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Happy little boy all through daycare, starts school is

diagnosed ADHD ,violent in playground...
Happy little boy all through daycare, starts school is diagnosed ADHD ,violent in playground spends most of his time in school office. Still loves helping with any tasks at home
12/4/2012
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Hi! You know, to give you the best answer, I think I should ask you a few questions first that will help define the problem and the situation.

I'm so sorry this is happening with your grandson. The first question is: do you think he is just not ready to be in school? Or do you think he really has had a biochemical change and has ADHD?

What do his parents think?

Is he getting any psychotherapy with a child psychologist or therapist?

If so, what type? How is it going?

Any extra information that will help, feel free to share.

I see you are offline at this time and I may be logged off until later tonight (US time) before you reply, but go ahead and reply to these questions and I’ll answer as soon as I log on again. Okay?

Dr. Mark

He lives on the Gold Coast. has seen a physcologist who studied him at school for a day. Also been checked out by a pediatrician who highly recommended the use of Ritalin if he was to have any chance of an education. His parents were given advice on various strategys to manage him but nothing seemed to work. What puzzles me is why does it suddenly occur?

Can he be tested for biochemical changes ? He was definitely ready for school...getting a bit bored at daycare. To my knowledge only the parents recieved advice, the child hasn't had any therapy.

Just few things that seemed to change inthe last 2 yrs his sleep pattern altered...he was always a good sleeper but became harder & harder to get him to settle at a reasonable hour . Became very fearless about punishment it just didn't seem to matter to him. The only other thing his parents thought may have affected him . His Mother had to drop him off at 7.30am for before school care & he is picked up by his father between 4/5pm they wondered if it was too long a day for him. His mother is giving up her job to spend more time with him.

Thank you for the replies to the questions and the added information. It helps a lot in understanding what the situation is. I believe I can now be of help with this issue.

I can imagine how distressing this situation must be for you. You are clearly a loving and caring grandmother and it must be so hard to have your little grandson going through this. It is scary for him and confusing and it's so difficult for the whole family.

I want to say first, though: I am so impressed and inspired that his mother is leaving work to spend more time with him. Please tell her and her husband how remarkably important and wonderful this is. There is not one thing that can be done for him that is as important as the step that they are preparing to take on his behalf. How sensational.

I wish that I could say that this type of "sudden" transformation is so unheard of. But it is not. ADHD can have that type of sudden onset and at that age or any time before about 11 years old it can start like that. There are no blood tests or any type of quantitative testing that can be done to either predict onset or to confirm the diagnosis.

We know from what you've shared with me, though, that this is indeed an ADHD type situation. There was no instability in the home or relationships to account for the behavioral changes. The symptoms are ADHD type symptoms. The important thing now is adequate treatment.

I don't think you should be fearful of the Ritalin in principle. It is a stimulant. In people who do not have ADHD, it makes them more hyperactive and anxious in behavior. But in kids (and adults) with ADHD it has the opposite reaction; it calms them, and lets them focus, and helps them organize their thoughts. Remarkable. So you all should be able to consult with the doctor(s) within a month of starting the Ritalin to be able to tell if it is behaving in the ADHD pattern. If not, the doctor may try a non-stimulant medication before the diagnosis is questioned. That would be prudent.

I am a firm believer that medications, especially in children, should not be relied on totally for treatment. Skills and tools are vital to help a child cope with the symptoms and the internal processes happening to him. That his mother is going to be there more to supervise his time and to help him cope is sensational. But she needs to start learning how to help in a more educated way. Therefore, I recommend that they start working with either a child psychologist or a therapist who is experienced in ADHD and is skills/tools oriented. There are also some ADHD treatment centers in large cities. I don't know about their area in Queensland, though. And she should make sure (as should the dad and you could as well) to begin to be educated in ADHD and resources. There are now so many websites that they can get many resources online.

Here are two directories for therapists/psychologists I have and use for Australia. I don't know, though, how good and comprehensive it will be for ADHD. So his pediatrician may be a better referral source.

This is an online therapist finder for Australia that I like because you can see a picture of the person and read about them a bit. It's very general, though, so you have to specify what you're looking for.

http://www.findatherapist.com.au/

The Australian Psychological Society has a search. Scroll down and put in self-esteem in the search window.

http://www.psychology.org.au/FindaPsychologist/Default.aspx

Okay, I wish you the very best!

My goal is for you to feel like you've gotten Great Service from me and the site. If we need to continue the discussion for that to happen, then please feel free to reply and we'll continue working on this. If the answer has given you the help you need, please remember to give a rating of 5 (Great Service) or 4 (Informative and helpful), or even 3 (Got the job done) button. This will make sure that I am credited for the answer and you are not charged anything more than the deposit you already made by pressing any of these buttons. Bonuses are always appreciated! If I can be of further help with any issue now or in the future, just put "For Dr. Mark" in the front of your new question, and I'll be the one to answer it. All the best, ***** *****

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist

Thank you so much. I do feel a lot calmer about him going on Ritalin. Also your comments on his Mother giving up work...some people felt this was not what she should be doing.

No, I've never, and I mean never, seen a child grow up and complain that his/her parents did the wrong thing by paying attention to his/her needs (assuming no bad things going on). I hope that made you smile.

All the very best to you and to your family,

Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Psychotherapist