Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Is there a link between taking high dose of effexor (375mg)

Customer Question

is there a link between taking high dose of effexor (375mg) and impulsive suicide attempts in people with an acquired brain injury?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well you see almost all the anti depressants including effexor come with a warning before use that they may in rare users arouse suicidal ideas/thinking and even lead to suicidal attempts ( mostly inpulsive in nature ), irrespective of whether he /she is suffering from an underlying brain trauma.

So yes efffexor too can be linked to impulsive suicidal attempts , which is rare but possible , however brain injury has no established role or link in this, not yet.

And in such a case scenario i will suggest that the person shall be brought off effexor , which in fact being given at a very high dose , another reason which may proppelled the person to suicidal attempt and this effexor shall be replaced by another anti depressant like remeron or wellbutrin.

I am mentioning below a link , kindly go through it as it will enlighten you more about the link between effexor and suicidal ideas and attempts , albiet in rare cases.

http://www.rxlist.com/effexor-drug.htm

Lastly i will conclude by saying that the possibility of the link between effexor and suicidal ideation should not be ta***** *****ghtly and so should be brought to light in front of the treating doctor so that he /she can make the necessary changes in the drug regime by looking and ruling out or in this possibility.

I hope this helps..

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive rating if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..