Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My questions is concerning my mother. my whole familly has

Hello, my questions is concerning my mother. my whole familly has come together and expressed concerns. We have talked with my mother and expressed our concerns. she has gone to see a therapists, familly doctor and had a ct scan. All diagnoses have gone welll with no probalems or concerns from doctors.
It is hard for me to describe the problem but i will do my best. She has expreienced memory loss, distancing from friends, loss of confidence, obsessing over deals, conversations with her is like talking to yourself, she doesnt give feedback and has reactions that dont fit in the context of the conversation. for example she laughs at something that isnt funny.
I dont know how to really describe whats going on but its very concerning. I wish i knew a beeter way to describe whats going on but i dont. and thats where my familly and myself are at. we dont know where to go to find help now. If someone could please contact me i wold greatly appreciate it.
She has tried anti depression medication for a month which did not help, ct scan came up good. she has also been out of work for two months for short term disability, I talked to her today and she agreed something is going on she doesnt feel like herself
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Dear friend,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I am so sorry that your mother is showing these troubling symptoms.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Have any of the physicians discussed early onset Alzheimer's Disorder?

Customer:

my aunt is a nurse in the mental health feild and she has discussed with us that it could be a possability

Customer:

whats the best way for them to diagnose early onset alzhiemers

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

It seems that she has some signs of it.

Customer:

definately agree

Customer:

is the ct scan a good way to diagnose that?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

People with early symptoms of Alzheimer’s often speak repetitively, lose things and seem generally forgetful. They can get lost travelling to familiar places and may have increased difficulty performing daily tasks.

Customer:

she had a ct scan which went well. is tht not to diagnose tumours and alzhiemers?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

CT really is not effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Current diagnosis of Alzheimer's relies largely on documenting mental decline. This is happening because of slow brain damage.

Customer:

okay

Customer:

so what would you suggest is the best way to treat or better diagnose the problem?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

CT scans often can reveal certain changes that are characteristic of later stage Alzheimer's disease such as a reduction in the size of the brain (atrophy), broader indentations in the tissues, and enlargement of the fluid-filled chambers (cerebral ventricles). However, it does hot help in early diagnosis.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

There are some medications that can ease the symptoms and perhaps slow the decline. Diagnosis is by observation and documentation of the symptoms and tracking their decline.

Customer:

Okay thanks. so what is your suggestion as to the next step?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

There are some medications that are used to inhibit memory decline. They are:

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

cholinesterase inhibitors (Aricept, Exelon, Razadyne, Cognex) and Namenda.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

These medications are used to treat the cognitive symptoms: memory loss, confusion, and problems with thinking and reasoning which are characteristic of Alzheimer's.

Customer:

okay thanks. i just have one last question. IS there a chance that it could possably be something else, something less long term and treatable, I understand you dont know the full situation but in passed experinces has it turned out to be something else?

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

It might be another form of dementia and there are some that are more benign. This will have to be left up to her neurologist and medical team to discuss and assess.

Customer:

Okay thanks alot

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I wish great blessings for your mother and family.