Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am so tired of all this anxiety been experiencing for 17

Customer Question
yrs now. Been on prob...
i am so tired of all this anxiety been experiencing for 17 yrs now. Been on prob every antidepressant made, which im not depressed and none has helped with my anxiety. im on .25 xanax 2 times a day (if needed) which does help...well really a life saver. although my anxiety keeps worsening everyday. usually having 3 anxiety attacks a day...where i have to run off and hide just know im gonna die... the 2 xanax gets me through 1 and i suffer through 2 attacks. whenever i bring up xanax and how it the only thing that helps i always get "xanax is not the answer you really need an alternative" and then i get a script for another antidepressant...17 yrs when can i get some relief
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
12/2/2012
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Autumn, Psychologist replied 5 years ago
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn, Psychologist
I'm so sorry that you've been suffering so much with your anxiety. It's sounds like you have tried numerous medications. But, what have you tried in addition to the medications? I can't speak to which kind of medications that you should try, as I'm not a medical doctor, but I can help suggest some additional options. Let me know what you've tried so far, and then I'll be in touch with some suggestions.
Sincerely,
Dr. Autumn

oh yea sorry... i have tried couneling for about 6 months but stopped cause i was getting depressed at everyones horrible stories, which i cant share with you for their privacy reasons... in the last 2 years ive been excercising for 30 min a day at doctor suggestion which helps at that time i dont feel anxiety then cause im alone away from others, the way i like to be but i need a job to survive, i get social anxiety on job alot.

Ok, thanks for the information.
So, it sounds like you were involved in group therapy. I completely understand feeling depressed and overwhelmed at everyone's stories. I typically recommend that someone with your level of anxiety attend individual therapy for a while. With the right therapist you should learn some coping skills, to help you deal with the anxiety. It won't make the anxiety disappear, but it will help you be able to manage it so that you can at least be around other people. Once you are able to be around other people and not experience such high anxiety, then you might find a group more helpful.
Exercise is a great idea. So, be sure to continue that, as it keeps your endorphins up and will help you throughout the day.
Another thing that has been very helpful for my clients, is Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction. There are some therapists who use aspects of this in their practice. But, you can also find people who teach MBSR who are not therapists. But, they have been trained to provide MBSR. This does occur in a group setting. However, you rarely (although occasionally) hear stories about what everyone else is going through. Instead, you spend each meeting learning new skills for reducing anxiety, and managing the things that happen in our lives that lead to this anxiety.
It's really beyond the scope of this discussion board, but you might also want to consider things that have happened in your past. If you have a trauma history, or have experienced any type of abuse in the past, it could be contributing to your current anxiety. If that is the case, individual therapy with a therapist who specializes in treating trauma victims, or using trauma informed care, can be extremely beneficial.
So, don't change any of your medications without discussing it with your medical doctor. But, add in any (or all) of the things that I have mentioned above, and I believe that it will help. Medication rarely solves the problem unless you use it in combination with some other form of treatment.
Best of luck, and let me know if you have any additional questions.
Sincerely,
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn, Psychologist