How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Autumn Your Own Question
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 43
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Psychologist with over 10 years of experience working with children and teens.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Autumn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX years ago I suffered from Postnatal

Customer Question

Hi My name is XXXXX XXXXX years ago I suffered from Postnatal depression and had a psychosis after my 2nd child. I believe my relationship with my husband became abusive and my depression became worse and I became very anxious also. My marriage broke up and i returned to Ireland with my children. There were alot arguments with my family and lack of understanding in relation to depression. I entered another relationship with another abusive man. He is an alcoholic and was very controlling. The father of my children brought the my kids back to Australia. I went back but found it very hard to find accomidation and a job. Eventually got my own place and returned home for break as I relapsed or panic and anxiety returned. Sometimes I think I have suffered alot of trauma and dont know where to trun. I have been through the whole psychiatric system. I feel I dissassociate to cope and would like to know what is best way to get help. Psychotherapy with the right medication from GP or good Pschiatrist.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Autumn replied 4 years ago.
Hi Tanya,
I'm happy to work with you on this.

It sounds like you have been through a lot. I know how frustrating and exhausting it can be to try to navigate the psychiatric system.

Given your history of trauma and abuse, I definitely feel like that needs to be addressed as part of the process of learning how to cope with your anxiety and panic. I would advise you to find a good psychologist who specializes in trauma, or providing trauma informed care. Someone who specializes in this area will help you learn how to manage your panic, anxiety, and dissociation. Once you are feeling stronger, and more stable, they will help you process the abuse and trauma that you suffered. Together, you will work on learning how to cope with your past, and how to continue to a more positive future.

If you feel like medication would be helpful (which it sounds like it probably would be), then it is important to find a therapist who works closely with a psychiatrist. But, it's very important to have a combination of medication and therapy, rather than just going to a GP for medication. Medication alone will not help you make the changes necessary to improve your situation.

I hope this has been helpful. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks so much!
Dr. Autumn
Expert:  Dr. Autumn replied 4 years ago.
Hi there! Just checking in to see if my answer was helpful, and to see if you need any additional information.

If you received everything that you need, please remember to give me a positive rating.

Thanks so much!
Dr. Autumn
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr Autumn


Thankyou for you advice. Will have a look here in Ireland to try to find someone who can help me process everything and also help me cope with my situation and depression. I think sometimes I get so overwhelme and sensitive to everything that my depression and anxiety gets on top of me. But it also about gaining confidence and self-empowerment also. I rely on some people in my life to help me to cope especially my family but then find that sometimes they make me feel worse. I came home to get a break but find I feel a bit lost.


Kind Regards



Expert:  Dr. Autumn replied 4 years ago.
That completely makes sense. Sometimes our families do that to us. Unfortunately, often the people that we care about the most are the ones that can hurt us the most. Until you can find a specialist, make sure that you do something special to take care of yourself each day. This could include taking a bath, going for a walk with a friend who makes you feel good (or by yourself if that feels better), go to coffee with a good friend. Just find something little to do each day that is special (no matter how small it is), and that helps you feel good. It certainly won't solve anything, but it's important to do something good for yourself every day.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best of luck,
Dr. Autumn

Please be sure to leave a positive review if you're happy with our discussion.

Related Mental Health Questions