JaRee1993
JaRee1993, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed to diagnosis and treat mental and emotional health issues of adults, adolescents and children and pastoral counseling.
11914957

I am suffering from insomnia and have been for over a year

Hello, I am suffering from insomnia and have been for over a year now. I have been to my doctor and no physical reason has been found. I use ambien cr and trazodone with limited success, my question is should I see a Psychiatrist? I went to a Therapist a couple of times but he really wasn't a good match. Thank you.
JaRee1993 :

Hi my name is***** and I am a mental health counselor and I would like to help you with this problem. Have you ever been to a psychchiatrist?

Customer:

I have not. The reason I am considering one is because I just cannot shut off my mind at night! I get sleepy, I am nice and comfy in my dark, cool room, but my thoughts a whirling as if in a blender, and the thoughts are totally random and not really specific to a worry or problem.

JaRee1993 :

I think it might be good for you to talk with a psychiatrist to be able to find the right medication for you and to have a specialist monitor your progress and reaction to the medication to find the one that works best for you. Unfortunately, it sometimes takes awhile and trying different ones to find the one best for you. It might also help to find out why your thoughts are racing so much now and talking with a professional can help you with that. Did something in particular happen right before you developed insomina?

Customer:

There was one particular night that I could not get to sleep, it was August 11, of last year, to be exact, that I did not sleep all night and called in sick the next day, that week I went as many as 3 nights without ANY sleep, I literally stayed up all night. I think the first night was so traumatic to me, that it has been with me ever since. Almost like a PTSD situation?

JaRee1993 :

I can understand that. Was there a particular reason you did not sleep that night?

Customer:

Not at all, it had been a normal day for me, I remember this as if it was yesterday.

JaRee1993 :

That is interesting. This seems to have had a profound effect on you. I would deffinantly recommend you find a good psychiatrist to talk with about this and to find the right medication for you. You can call your local Mental Health Board for a reference to find the best one for you. In the mean time one of the things I recommend to my client's with this problem is to find some very soothing music (without words) use headphones and have the music just loud enough to drown out their thoughts. They tell me it does help until you can find the right psychiatrist and get on the proper medication this might help you some.

Customer:

I use a small fan in my room with that exact plan in mind, it doesn't help much. Something else I should mention is that I used to be the queen of sleep, I could sleep all day on a Saturday and still fall asleep at night, those days are gone, it's like I am afraid, I suppose.

JaRee1993 :

The fan is a good thing, however, my clients tell me the music with headphones work better because it drowns out everything. Is it possible you have started early into menopause? This too can cause insomnia

Customer:

I have regular cycles and have metioned the insomnia to my Gyn. he said things were ok.

JaRee1993 :

Then I do think you need to find a good psychiatrist to assist you with this. It is not healthy, not to mention extremely stressful to not get the sleep we need.

Customer:

I worry about my dependence on ambien, I don't mind being on a anti-depressant of some sort, but the ambien is not working as well as it used to.

JaRee1993 :

That is why you need a good psychiatrist to help you with finding the right medication and to be able to monitor it for you. Will you be able to find one there where you live and will you please do it soon to not just ease your mind, but for health reasons as well?

Customer:

I have started the process, through my employee mental health program, I guess I am just questioning wether I am overreacting in wanting to see a Psychiatrist in the first place.

JaRee1993 :

No, you are not. This problem has been going on for awhile now and you are being very responsible by seeking the help of a specialist who can take care of the problem for you. It is no different than if you had to see a heart doctor for heart problems. does that make sense?

Customer:

Yes, it just seems hopeless because if there is one thing I have learned is that the mind is very powerful and stubborn.

JaRee1993 :

Yes it is! But it is not hopeless. There are some very good medications out there for this; all you need is finding the right psychiatrist to help you do that. Please do not become discouraged or frustrated as it may take trying different ones to find the best one for you. Stick with it because your health is worth it! Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer:

No, that is all, thanks for chatting with me.

JaRee1993 :

If this answer has helped you then please check the accept button and please answer our rating servey to enable us to know how well we are serving our customers to the best of our ability. Thank you again for contacting Just Answer. Ja`Ree

Customer:

Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

JaRee1993 :

It was my pleasure to assist you.

JaRee1993 :

I will probably check in with you in a week or two to see how you are doing if you don't mind.

Customer:

That would be nice, I don't mind at all.

JaRee1993 :

Talk with you soon and you will be in my thoughts. Good night

Customer:

Good night.

Hello, Have you found a psychiatrist yet? Please let me know how you are doing. Look forward to hearing from you! Ja`Ree
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did find one, I have an appt. on the 7th of January, She has over a 20yrs of experience, do you have any suggestions? Things I should ask or mention?

Thank you,

Cynthia

I am so glad you found one. Please make sure to tell her/him about the first night you experienced what you did not sleeping and it's affect on you. Also ask about side effects of any medication they may want to put you on.
Also let them know what you have been on before.
Are there any concerns about going you have that I might assist you with addressing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I am just so tired of feeling like this day in and day out. It's never out of my mind because my fatigue is a constant reminder. I will be sure to mention everything to the Doctor.

Please let me know how it goes after you go. Ja`Ree
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will, thank you again.

You are welcome.. Will look forward to hearing from you. Ja`Ree