Elliott, LPCC, NCC
Elliott, LPCC, NCC, Psychotherapist
Experience:  35 years of experience as a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, National Certified Counselor and a college professor.
40019946

My sister was diagnosed with severe mental depression 3

Customer Question

My sister was diagnosed with severe mental depression 3 years ago. I saved her from Commiting suicide. My Mom says she is off SSI now. I was told it would be at least 7 years till she was evaluated.
Is this all true?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Elliott, LPCC, NCC replied 4 years ago.
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Seeking expert counseling is a sign of strength. A personal relationship with a caring professional is proven clinically effective.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

The Social Security Administration says:

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC : How often will my disability claim be reviewed ?

How to prove you are disabled
and win disability benefits

Social Security disability claims are reviewed according to the medical review diary date. There are three types of medical review diary dates that determine how often a social security disability claim or SSI disability claim will be reviewed. Most disability claims have a medical improvement possible diary date, meaning that they will be reviewed every three years.

Additionally, there are some disability claims where medical improvement is expected and these individuals may be reviewed in less than three years.

Lastly, there are some disability beneficiaries who have a permanent diary, which extends the medical review diary date at least seven years into the future.

In general, individuals who are under fifty-five will be reviewed every three years not matter what the medical or psychological impairment.

Remember, though, that some continuing disability reviews are triggered by an individual’s work activity, because the ability to engage in work activity that provides substantial and gainful income may indicate medical improvement.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

That means that if the person IS ALREADY GETTING BENEFITS and is over 55, then they do not have to be reassessed for 7 years.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Your sister can get reassessed as needed.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

That rule only applies to present beneficiaries to protect them for harassing assessments.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I see that you have left the chat and are now offline. How else may I assist you?

Customer: I do not think my Mom knows what is going on. My sister works PT for state and is doing well She completed at Paralegal course at the top of her class but has not been able to find work . She is on major mess such as Partane. I work in the nursing field and I feel she can not survive on her own
Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If you can get a psychiatric backup, then take this to SSAdministration.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If she is on Partane then her doctor must feel she has Parkinson's, or Cerebral Spasticity, or Extrapyramidal reactions from too many psychotropic drugs (particularly antipsychotics).

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

I see that you have left the chat. I will switch over to Q & A and you can get back to me later if you have some more questions or issues. I am here to serve you and will be happy to follow up with you.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

If you are satisfied at this point, then please leave me positive feedback for the information that I provided for you. You do not have to worry any longer about waiting 7 years. That rule only applies to those already on the program.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

God bless your family.

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Warm regards,

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC :

Elliott Sewell, LPCC, NCC, CCMHC