How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr John B Your Own Question
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 557
Experience:  PhD in Clinical Psychology, registered clinical psychologist.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr John B is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I suffer from Dyslexia and Dyspraxia and have in a two hour,

This answer was rated:

I suffer from Dyslexia and Dyspraxia and have in a two hour, very rushed meeting with a Psychiatrist been diagnosed with BPD which I am very shocked at as it appears completely wrong. This was a one off meeting could the Psychiatrist have mistaken dyslexia and dyspraxic symptomology for BPD?


Psychiatrists like the rest of us are human and definitely capable of making mistakes. I wouldn't have thought that Dyslexia & Dyspraxia would be mistaken for BPD as they are very different things, however gross diagnostic mistakes sometimes occur. It may be that he believes BPD fits in addition to Dyslexia & Dyspraxia as you can have all these diagnoses simultaneously.

You should definitely seek a second opinion if you are concerned abut any diagnosis you ever receive regardless of it being Psychiatric or medical. In my experience patients often have good insight into whether a diagnosis fits and so if your gut feeling is that this is wrong then please do seek another assessment. The Psychiatrist should happily arrange this for you but if you would find it too uncomfortable to approach this person again then have your GP arrange one for you. ALternatively, you could contact NHS Choices fr assistance with getting a new assessment organized.

I will pause here and wait for any response you might have to what I have written so far.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He went along with another psychiatrist who had never seen my medical notes and was employed by my employers who sacked me for being unsustainable after I hit my head and ended up with post concussion syndrome. This expert is for legal purpouses only and I see a Neuro-psychiatrist who has assurde me he does not believe I suffer from BPD. The expert put me down as F60.3 in ICD10, F60.4 in ICd.10 and F60.0 in ICD10. he ignored my ex-partner who came with me, paperwork and memory stick with my evidence in it along with comments such 'as we need to line mangae this person out of this organisation.' and evidence from two collegues that I was bullied and ostracised at work? Can I still go to the NHS.

If it is for the purpose of a medico-legal situation then you may need to see a private specialist. Regardless, you should certainly obtain your own independent assessment as the circumstances do sound suspicious (on their behalf not yours). It is probably worth a call to the NHS just to check whether you can use their funded services. Do you have your own medical doctor who could potentially organize an assessment for you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much

You are very welcome. If you have further questions please let me know. If not....I wish you the best of luck!


Was my answer helpful? If so, please select ACCEPT. If not, let me know how I can assist you further so that my answer is helpful.

Dr John B and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
I hope you've made some progress in obtaining a second opinion.
If I can be of further help, or if you ever have other questions in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. You can do this by simply putting "For Dr John B" at the start of any question you post.