Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Can OCD be turned on and off at will? My ex wife has

Customer Question
Can OCD be turned on...
Can OCD be turned on and off at will? My ex wife has recently said my 11 yr old daughter has a very bad case of ocd and tells me all these strange things she does at her house. However, she comes to my house every other weekend for 3 days and does not display any of the behavior my ex wife mentions. While here she is very happy and normal acting. Now my ex has had her put on zoloft which did bad things to her and now she is in a clinic being evaluated with different meds. I am very worried she is not being diagnosed correctly, if there even is something wrong with her.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/19/2012
Mental Health Professional: Dr John B, Psychologist replied 5 years ago
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist

Sorry to hear of the situation. Before I proceed any further can you tell me what type/s of clinicians she has been assessed by so far and who has issued the prescription for Zoloft?Also, do you by chance know the name of the clinic?
Relist: Answer quality.

My previous post was not an answer, I was seeking some more information to help me assist you as best possible. If you don't wish to provide any further information I can provide a general answer about OCD?

She originally took her to a Dr Cohen and Gordon in Memphis and they prescribed the zoloft after 2 visits. When she started having complications with med (wanting to hurt herself) my ex rushed her to Parkwood in Olive Branch, MS. Again, I am very concerned because I do not believe the Drs are being given all the information like the fact she doesn't do any of this at my house so I think they are only going by what they are told. Therefore, my question still is, if my daughter truly has ocd can she just turn it off the wknds she comes over here?

Ok, thanks for the extra information. OCD typical obsessions and compulsions tend to come and go as a person's general anxiety/stress levels rise and fall, so the symptoms can appear to come and go. If she happens to feel much more safe and secure when she is with you then it may well be that her symptoms quickly reduce when she changes location. People experiencing OCD often feel that they have very little if any control over their symptoms so they rarely describe being able to control them, however most will recognise that when they are generally less anxious the symptoms reduce in intensity and frequency. Given your daughters age I wouldn't necessarily expect her to have much insight into this at all.

The diagnosis of OCD in a person of such a young age is rare and somewhat controversial. While there are kids out there that do appear to develop OCD this kind of diagnosis is rare enough that you would be well justified to seek a second (if not third and fourth) opinion. Do you know if she was offered any kind of psychotherapy prior to treatment using an antidepressant?

That it was I had suggested was to get different opinions and I think that it is very important I am in on the meetings with the Drs as well but unfortunately so far, I am only being told everything after the fact. She had only two visits with the psychotherapists that they asked her questions before prescribing her zoloft. Most of the information they are recieving is coming from my ex not my daughter so she is only telling them what she wants them to know. I visited my daughter at parkwood yesterday and they have her taking 3 pills a day but I don't know what they are.

As a father myself I really sympathize with your situation. If you have joint custody of your daughter I would wonder whether it is even legal for them to proceed with any kind of treatment without your consent (I'm not a legal expert so I'm speculating here). As far as seeking a second opinion goes; this is standard practice in Psychiatry especially in more complex cases such as an 11 year old with OCD! Her treating team should readily organize a second opinion at your request.

Two sessions of Psychotherapy is definitely not a proper trial of any kind of psychotherapy and so I suspect that these sessions were for assessment and not therapy. Obviously I am not privy to the details of her case but as a general statement there should be a strong preference for Psychotherapy where possible over the use of any Psychiatric medicine in a person so young. I am dismayed to hear that she is now in hospital as a consequence of the decision to commence an antidepressant. Zoloft and other SSRI antidepressants are known to trigger suicidal ideation and self harming behavior in some adolescents & young adults - for this reason alone the use of an antidepressant in treating a young child should only occur under highly specialized supervision. Again, I am not privy to the details of your daughter's case and I would hope the decision was justified.

If your daughter spends regular time in your care then any assessment that has not included you is a poor assessment. Does she have a history of psychiatric problems or is there a family history of similar difficulty?

Her mother states that all this started happening after they went to the mountains with some friends in Ark in September. I asked her if anything dramatic happened while they were in Ark and she said no. As far as family problems, there are some problems that run thru my family line. I have never been to a dr but suspect I have adhd and even maybe ocd myself. Myself and others in my family also display signs of turrets syndrome. Unfortunatley when the divorce happened I had a bad lawyer and he dtold me not to worry about joint custody now I know that was wrong and have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow.

Her mother states that all this started happening after they went to the mountains with some friends in Ark in September. I asked her if anything dramatic happened while they were in Ark and she said no. As far as family problems, there are some problems that run thru my family line. I have never been to a dr but suspect I have adhd and even maybe ocd myself. Myself and others in my family also display signs of turrets syndrome. Unfortunatley when the divorce happened I had a bad lawyer and he dtold me not to worry about joint custody now I know that was wrong and have an appointment with a lawyer tomorrow. Just found out they now have her on anafranill, can you tell me anything about that drug?

Anafranil is a brand name for Clomipramine, a tricyclic antidepressant. Tricyclic Antidepressants are an older form of antidepressant that aren't used as often these days due to potential side effects. SSRIs are used more commonly as they tend to have more tolerable side effects....although this is not always the case as you now well know. It is most commonly used these days for treating Depression (in adults) when SSRIs fail or aren't tolerable due to side effects .

It sounds like a meeting with your lawyer might be a very good idea. Do you have any other questions or would you like me elaborate any further an anything we have discussed so far?

You have been very helpful. Thank you

You are very welcome. I wish you the best of luck. If you ever have questions in the future you'd like my assistance with just put 'For Dr John B' at the start of the question.
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist
I hope your daughter's situation has improved.
If I can be of further help, or if you ever have other questions in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. You can do this by simply putting "For Dr John B" at the start of any question you post.
Regards,
Dr John B
Dr John B
Dr John B, Psychologist