Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have a fear of being touched by other adults. Im a

preschool teacher the kids are...
I have a fear of being touched by other adults. Im a preschool teacher the kids are fine to touch me and I can touch others sonetimes a little but I cant touch myself much or be touched its becoming extremely isolating I think I need help
11/19/2012
TherapistMarryAnn
Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

It sounds like from your description that you might have a phobia called Haphephobia. It is the fear of being touched. Sometimes it is specific, as it seems in your situation. And other times it is more general in nature.

The fear can sometimes be traced back to abuse in the past, particularly childhood abuse. Once traumatized, developing a fear or phobia is not all that uncommon. And phobias are easily treated in therapy so if you do decide to seek treatment, you have an excellent chance of getting better.

In order to find a therapist, contact your doctor for a referral. You can also search on line at http://www.bacp.co.uk/.

You can also use self help to address your fear. This has the benefit of helping you right away and offering reassurance that what you are experiencing is treatable. You can educate yourself on phobia, read books with treatment options you can use to reduce your anxiety and you can talk with others who have phobias and anxiety on line or in person. This can help you feel less alone.

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_self_help.htm

http://www.webmd.com/anxiety-panic/guide/mental-health-anxiety-disorders

Books:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund J. Bourne

When Panic Attacks: The New, Drug-Free Anxiety Therapy That Can Change Your Life by David D. Burns

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by William J. Knaus EdD and Jon Carlson PsyD EdD

Coping with Anxiety: 10 Simple Ways to Relieve Anxiety, Fear & Worry by Edmund J. Bourne and Lorna Garano

Support groups:

http://psychcentral.com/resources/Anxiety_and_Panic/Support_Groups/

http://www.dailystrength.org/c/Anxiety/support-group

I hope this has helped you,
Kate

kate I have been this way always but was raped recently I havent seen gp or reported it the isolation and fear is spiralling will I have to tell a therapist this

I am sorry that you went through something so horrible. It can be difficult to tell anyone about your experience. I have worked with women who were raped and they experienced the same difficulty. But a therapist is going to understand how you feel and they are trained to help you work through your pain. I encourage you to contact a local rape crisis center and talk to someone, even if you choose to do it anonymously. Let them help you find a therapist who can help and support you. Holding this in is only going to hurt you more and continue to make you feel worse with the phobia.

Kate

kate I can handle the rape thing am big enough and ugly enough to realise it happens to people like me so why do i feel so awful

It is never a good idea for anyone to handle something so traumatizing on their own. Holding that in is going to have repercussions, especially if you are already struggling with a phobia. That is most likely why you are feeling so awful. Rape involves being touched and violated in the worst possible way. That is going to cause your phobia to get worse without treatment.

Kate

kate im ok will think it over im rubbish at talking tthanks

If you feel you cannot see a therapist face to face, consider on line therapy. That can give you a start and get you used to talking to someone about what you feel, without having to deal with facing them.

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist