Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am seeking information and recommendations for bipolar

treatment centers for our 33...
I am seeking information and recommendations for bipolar treatment centers for our 33 year old son. Ideally, my wife and I would like to find a treatment center whose main focus is bipolar as opposed to chemical dependency.
Thanks for any help and guidance.
11/17/2012
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Hi
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
Where are you looking for a treatment center?
Where do you live?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Preferably California. However, we are open to any location. We live in the San Francisco north bay area.
Thank you, ***** *****
Hi John
Thanks for waiting.
Bipolar disorder is dysregulation of mood, attention and energy.
It is associated with mood swings that range from the lows of depression to the highs of mania. When a person becomes depressed, he/she may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in many activities. When a person's mood shifts in the other direction, her or she may feel euphoric and full of energy. Mood shifts may occur only a few times a year, or as often as several times a day.
It's common for adult with Bipolar disorder to abuse alcohol and/or substance.
Your son needs to continue working with a psychiatrist (M.D.) and a psychotherapist/psychologist. Treatment for his condition consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist.
I found CBT useful for my clients with Bipolar disorder.
Please review available Bipolar disorder treatments on the following link:
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/health/publications/bipolar-disorder/complete-index.shtml#pub8
He may need to be treated by a specialist in bipolar disorder.
I recommend the Bipolar disorder clinic of Stanford Univeristy (bipolar.stanford.edu) as you are living in North Bay.
Stanford University School of Medicine has experts.
Other good centers specializing in Bipolar disorder in CA are:
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
757 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA###-##-####
(310) 825–9111
www.uclahealth.org
Bridges to Recovery
Phone 1-***-***-****
Santa Monica
1820 San Vicente Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90403
Pacific Palisades
1460 San Remo Drive
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272
Bel Air *****
Los Angeles, CA 90077
Please let me know if you have a question.
Best regards,
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist