How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am seeking information and recommendations for bipolar treatment

This answer was rated:

I am seeking information and recommendations for bipolar treatment centers for our 33 year old son. Ideally, my wife and I would like to find a treatment center whose main focus is bipolar as opposed to chemical dependency.
Thanks for any help and guidance.
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.

Let me ask you a few questions first.
Where are you looking for a treatment center?
Where do you live?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Preferably California. However, we are open to any location. We live in the San Francisco north bay area.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX
Hi John
Thanks for waiting.

Bipolar disorder is dysregulation of mood, attention and energy.
It is associated with mood swings that range from the lows of depression to the highs of mania. When a person becomes depressed, he/she may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in many activities. When a person's mood shifts in the other direction, her or she may feel euphoric and full of energy. Mood shifts may occur only a few times a year, or as often as several times a day.
It's common for adult with Bipolar disorder to abuse alcohol and/or substance.

Your son needs to continue working with a psychiatrist (M.D.) and a psychotherapist/psychologist. Treatment for his condition consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist.
I found CBT useful for my clients with Bipolar disorder.

Please review available Bipolar disorder treatments on the following link:

He may need to be treated by a specialist in bipolar disorder.
I recommend the Bipolar disorder clinic of Stanford Univeristy ( as you are living in North Bay.
Stanford University School of Medicine has experts.

Other good centers specializing in Bipolar disorder in CA are:

Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center
757 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CANNN-NN-NNNN
(310) 825–9111

Bridges to Recovery

Phone 1-877-386-3398

Santa Monica
1820 San Vicente Boulevard
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Pacific Palisades
1460 San Remo Drive
Pacific Palisades, CA 90272

Los Angeles, CA 90077

Please let me know if you have a question.
Best regards,

Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions