How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My adult daughter has been diagnosed as histrionic. Recently

This answer was rated:

My adult daughter has been diagnosed as histrionic. Recently she has been estranged from me and feels I have deserted her and cast her aside. I don't know how to reassure her as my attempts end up being verbally attacked and I am left feeling abused so the inevitable happens, I back off. She is not on any medication nor is she seeing a therapist. She uses alcohol which only worsens her anger. Is there anything I can do?
Thank you for writing in JustAnswer.
Let me ask you a few questions first.
When did this start?
Is she currently under stress?
Does your daughter live alone?
Does she have support from her friends and other family member?
Please let me know by clicking on “Reply” and I will then craft my response.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Warm Regards,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It actually started about 2+ years ago when my other daughter's friend moved while she studied to become a nurse. Apparently Gina has a tremendous dislike for her. Over time, things seemed to improve only to become worse. A year ago at Christmas, she had a short psychoticm episode. I encouraged her to obtain help from a counselor but she has not done so. More recently, she has attacked and accused me verbally and via texts. It does not seem I can do anything right. I refuse to get pulled into the meanness and don't respond to her rants except to tell her I do love her. I don't know what else to do and, frankly, am quite tired of the abuse.

Yes, she lives alone with her two dogs. She does have friends, one of them particularly negative and demeaning. My other daughter will have nothing to do with her. G. has pulled away from other family members. She is financially strapped and is under stress in the management of properties and a small store that she owns.

Hi there
Thanks for your reply.
I'll be back with my answer in 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you

Hi there
Thank you for waiting.
It sounds like your 37 year old daughter suffers from depression and mood swings.
You stated she has been diagnosed as histrionic. It’s common for people with depression and mood swings to use alcohol to numb their feelings. Her anger and verbal abuse are indicative of the severity of depression she has. Her condition may have aggravated as she has had psychotic episodes. It sounds like she is still maintain her routines as she gets emotional supports from you and her friends. However, it’s a matter of time when she falls into another mental breakdown and severe depression.
She doesn’t seem to admit the problem and be open to counseling.
Histrionic personality disorder is characterized by a pattern of attention seeking behavior and extreme emotionality. Someone with histrionic personality disorder wants to be the center of attention in any group of people, and feel uncomfortable when they are not. While often lively, interesting and sometimes dramatic, they have difficulty when people aren't focused exclusively on them.
She may be in denial of her problems as she refuses treatment from her doctor or a counselor.
You are doing a right thing to her. You may continue to tell her you love her and you care about her well being. You may continue to encourage her to see a psychotherapist weekly in her area.
She will need PSYCHOTHERAPY weekly - individual and group therapy. Cognitive-behavior therapy (CBT) or Psychodynamic therapy may be effective for her condition.
You may need help and support to associate with her. You may need to get support from a counselor, your family and/or friends who are aware of her problem. You may need to be patient with her behavior - angry outbursts as she may have the illnesses. However, set limits with his behavior without high emotion. You may not change yourself to accommodate her abusive behavior. Keep an honest perspective, especially in regard to your own needs.
She may ask her doctor for a psychologist/psychotherapist that she can work with weekly. Or she may call her insurance company and get a list of providers (licensed psychologists or psychotherapists) in her area.
Or, she can search a licensed psychologist on internet- such as the PSYCHOLOGY TODAY website. Go to ( and enter your zip code and optional category of specialty such as Depression. Read psychotherapists’ profile to see if he or she specializes in Cognitive-behavior therapy and Depression. She may also want to create your mental image of psychotherapist that she wants to work with – Male or female? To note, many therapists offer initial consultation for free. So she can see it as an informational meeting. She can ask any question and negotiate psychotherapy fee.
If she has no health insurance or seek a low fee counseling, she or you may call The United Way toll free # 211 (Dial 2-1-1)to find the community mental health centers in her area in which she can get counseling even without health insurance.
Please let me know if you have more questions. Best regards,
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you