Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

What kind of effects can anxiety/panic attacks have with

your head? Dizzyness?...
What kind of effects can anxiety/panic attacks have with your head? Dizzyness? Lightheadedness? Tingling and numbing sensations? Thanks
11/2/2012
TherapistMarryAnn
Hello, I’d like to help you with your question.

Anxiety can cause a lot of physical and emotional symptoms. Feeling dizzy, lightheaded and/or tingling sensations are very common.

When you experience these symptoms, it is always a good idea to see your doctor first. You want to rule out any possible physical cause. It is unlikely given that you seem to already have been diagnosed with anxiety, that these symptoms are any more than just anxiety. But it does not hurt to be sure. Here is a site that can help:

http://www.helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

When you are anxious, your thoughts are causing your mind to think your in danger, such as when you are driving. Your body reacts by releasing adrenaline into your system. Adrenaline causes you to feel the body symptoms that are common with anxiety. It is much like after you have had a bad scare except with anxiety, there is no focus. The only thing you have to focus on is how you feel. And because your thoughts are probably always on alert, so is your body. This may be why you always feel anxious and scared.

The good news is that anxiety is easy to treat with therapy. In therapy, you learn to pay attention to what you are thinking to make yourself anxious. The therapist then can help you change your thoughts and therefore how your body reacts to your thoughts. You also can learn about how to let yourself float through your anxiety thereby gaining more control over how you feel. When anxiety comes on, you allow it to flow over you without tensing or panicking in response. This makes the anxiety reduce or go away faster. To find a therapist, talk to your doctor about a referral. Or you can search on line at http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/.

Medications are helpful to ease the symptoms but they vary in their effectiveness as you found with the Buspar you took. Each person has their own body chemistry and what works for one may not work for another. Also, once you take medication for a while, your body becomes accustomed to it and you either need an increase in dosage or you need to try a new medication. But medications can help to reduce your symptoms quickly so you can work on overcoming your fears.

You can also help yourself at home. There are numerous resources to help you learn more about anxiety. Here are some to get you started:

The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook by Edmund Bourne is excellent for any fears. It is self help and contains everything from supplements to relaxation techniques.

The Cognitive Behavioral Workbook for Anxiety: A Step-by-Step Program by Bill Knaus Ed.D. and Jon Carlson Psy.D. Ed.D.

From Panic to Power: Proven Techniques to Calm Your Anxieties, Conquer Your Fears, and Put You in Control of Your Life by Lucinda Bassett

http://helpguide.org/mental/anxiety_types_symptoms_treatment.htm

You can find these books on Amazon.com or your local library may have them for you.

I hope this has helped you,
Kate
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist