psychlady
psychlady, Therapist
Experience:  Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.
52358615

Why am I more able to go out dressed like a women (skirt, tights,

Why am I more able to go out dressed like a women (skirt, tights, possible boots with a heel, makeup, etc) with no anxiety, than going out in the world as a man?

Brad The Therapist :

Thank you for your question. Please tell me more about your current concerns? I am assuming you are a male who enjoy dressing like a woman?

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX just overall trying to figure out who I am. I have been dressing up like a woman, and going out and doing various activities whereas a man I would just stay at home and not do anything. I find myself shopping, for more attire, makeup, and looking forward to wearing the attire when I get off work. Overall I am just trying to figure out is this more of a true me coming out?

Brad The Therapist :

When did these behaviors first start? What are your concerns?

Customer:

Well I started when I was growing up, wearing my sisters clothes. Then it was on and off growing up after that. Basically just trying to understand why I am more comfortable cross dressing, than dressing as a male how I was born to go out and about.

Customer:

If unable to help please release the question. Thanks

Just wanted to give you a few thoughts to follow up with Brad. A possible reason for the change in your anxiety may be that by putting on makeup and women's clothes you are creating a character. These accessories allow you to feel that no one really sees you the person but instead sees the character that you enjoy and really want to be. The makeup and clothes allow you to have a safe barrier between you and the real world. In addition to feeling that the clothes are a source of protection the pleasure of being this other person allows you to express yourself more freely. In expressing yourself you can enjoy the exchange when in this character. On the other side, as a male in male's clothing you are not truly happy or you feel exposed or vulnerable to the rest of the world. The difference is with your own exposure to the world and the image you feel you enjoy or comes natural to you. If one is not comfortable with their self image they may feel anxious because they feel out of place in presenting the world a image they don't feel represents who they are.

psychlady, Therapist
Experience: Psychotherapist specializing in the treatment of a variety of mental health issues.