Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Thankyou for your answer. If someone has BPD and they don't

Customer Question
Thankyou for your answer. If someone...
Thankyou for your answer.
If someone has BPD and they don't seek professional help can they live a normal life or will their symptoms get worse and drama?
My ex has denied that they have a problem and won't go and talk to someone and smokes pot everyday at least twice a day.
Is smoking pot this regular have long term and short term side effects?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Mental Health
11/1/2012
Mental Health Professional: Doctor Rao, Doctor replied 5 years ago
Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor
Doctor Rao : Hi are you online?
Customer:

hi yes i am :)

Doctor Rao : Ok.
Doctor Rao : Thank you for the question. Now, we do know that Personality disorder severity weans off (decreases) as they grow older in most of the people.
Customer:

how old does the person have to be tho? They are still young, only 25

Doctor Rao : But, the complicating thing here is her cannabis abuse
Doctor Rao : It is difficult to say. We don't have much research available with that.Bt based on the clinical experience once they reach thirties in good few percentage of people behaviour changes so do their perception of other people,relationships and their responsibilities.
Customer:

oh ok. well she is kind of bad atm and has not had help for any of it.

Doctor Rao : But, the side effects are regular cannabis somoking can have both short term and longterm effects
Customer:

Yeah i know smoking pot is bad for you if you do it regularly

Doctor Rao : With cannabis,min the short term it can make a person irritable,edgy,paranoid and sleep problems (although people at the initial stages say they are smoking for sleep and calming effects) AND in th dlong term it can cause psychosis(please note dthat Not all who smoke cannabis do get psychosis but it can make. A person vulnerable and if they have other vulnerabilities like Family history of mental illness,psychosocial stressors). In the longterm it can also cause Amotivational syndrome, by this we mean, the person would not show interest in anything,isolates themselves,self neglect Etc
Customer:

oh ok. Yeah i think she may have some of these symptoms.
With Borderline Personality Disorder if untreated can they cause chaos in their life?

Doctor Rao : Well,depends on the severity. They sometimes cause chaos by constant burning of the bridges with people around them. Te near and dear might stay attached becaus eif the bind established but the problem is with the acquitances and so called friends. As long as o e can concentrate on the issue sI have mentioned before like putting the emotions before facts,acknowledging their emotional difficulties then they would be able to manage well. I have seen few who functions well, and no one notice because they might be ok with superficial relationships. So, they an function well as long as they don't feel abandoned or neglected.
Customer:

oh ok i understand

Doctor Rao : Hi, I am not sure whether I have mentioned dot you before But couple of my patients families told me about the following book which they found helpful. But, I have to be honest that I haven't read it.so, it is only hear say. If you want you can have a look at it.
Doctor Rao : Stop Walking on Eggshells: Taking Your Life Back When Someone You Care About Has Borderline Personality Disorder Paul T. Mason (Author), Randi Kreger (Author)
Doctor Rao : Please do not hesitate to ask me for more informationIf require at this stage. I wish you all the best. I will wait for your response.
Doctor Rao : Hi,have you got message.thanks
Doctor Rao : Hi,I hope you find the answer helpful. I wish you all the best. Thank you.
Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao
Doctor Rao, Doctor