How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Olsen Your Own Question
Dr. Olsen
Dr. Olsen, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2336
Experience:  PsyD Psychologist
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Olsen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been with my husband now for 9 years. He always had a

This answer was rated:

I have been with my husband now for 9 years. He always had a somewhat strange behavior (to me) but I originally thought it was due to the upbringing of an alcoholic mother and family. 3 years into our relationship he reveals he knows he has a "problem". He didn't say but implied depression. After 5 years, and some reading on his strange personality, I concluded this is not depression but a bipolar disorder. He often watches shows that speak of murders and such. I don't understand what is even "likeable" about these shows. In many instances they mention the personality disorders of those that could murder, lie, steal. Anyway, once heard the description of a sociopath I started reading about it. I think he may possibility be sociopathic. We do not have insurance. He does and always has self medicated (via alcohol and marijuana) even when we had insurance. He has never been diagnosed by a doctor but there is something clearly (to me more and more) just not right. We have a son that is now 7. He, my son, can hardly stand to be in the same room with my husband. He acts as though he hates him. I am literally emotionally exhausted all the time. I don't know what to do anymore and have almost literally given up on everything. Is there any hope for him getting help? Any medicines existing that actually help?
Hi there
Thank you for writing in here.
It sounds like your husband may have mood disorder such as Bipolar disorder and/or Personality disorder such as Antisocial.
Indeed, it's common for people with mood disorder to abuse alcohol and/or drugs.
It's possible that he may have Bipolar disorder if he has "wild" mood swings. Bipolar disorder is dysregulation of mood, attention and energy.
Bipolar disorder is associated with mood swings that range from the lows of depression to the highs of mania. When a person becomes depressed, he/she may feel sad or hopeless and lose interest or pleasure in many activities. When a person's mood shifts in the other direction, her or she may feel euphoric and full of energy. Mood shifts may occur only a few times a year, or as often as several times a day.
If he has Bipolar disorder (not major depressive disorder or Dysthymic disorder), antidepressants may not work for him.
It's important for him to find out whether he has Bipolar disorder or other disorder.
If he thinks he has severe mood swings, you may see a psychiatrist or a psychologist for assessment/testing.
To note, if he has Bipolar disorder, he also has ADHD/ADHD, anxiety and depression. Then his bipolar disorder has to be treated FIRST.
If he has bipolar disorder, he needs to work with psychiatrist (M.D.) and psychotherapist. Treatment for bipolar disorder consists of pharmacotherapy (by psychiatrist), individual psychotherapy (Cognitive-behavior therapy - CBT) or Interpersonal therapy (ITP) by a licensed psychologist or psychotherapist), and group therapy or support group by a psychotherapist.
Pharmacotherapy is a critical aspect of treatment.
Individual psychotherapy will help her for support, ventilation of feelings, coping skills training, and direct advice. Group therapy is useful for her to address the issues – adherence to medication and therapy, regulation of self-esteem, and management of other psychosocial issues. Support groups are available in a local community clinic or a local hospital. Friends and family should join a support group to better understand the illness so that they can continue to offer encouragement and support to him.
Please review available Bipolar disorder treatments on the following link:
If he has no health insurance or need low cost treatment, you may call The United Way toll free # 211 to find the community mental health centers in your area in which he can get treatment described above even without health insurance.
Or call Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance(###) ###-####or The National Alliance on Mental Illness(###) ###-####to find experts (psychiatrists and child psychologists) in your area.
To find a group therapy or a support group for him, contact a local hospital or a clinic by asking if they offer a group for people with Bipolar disorder. If you like to find a support group online, check Mental Health America website section ( - Find a group in your area.
I hope you get well with all available help.
Dr. Olsen and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you