Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Could celiac disease possibly cause symptoms of bpd or is my

hi could celiac disease possibly...
hi could celiac disease possibly cause symptoms of bpd or is my medication giving me symptoms that are related to celiac disease? i have heard that celiac disease can cause mental health problems
10/15/2012
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist : Hello
KansasTherapist : There have been some studies that link Celiac disease and mental health issues, though not of these have indicated Borderline Personality Disorder.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

alright thanks could it be causing my voices and anxiety as i have seen that celiac disease causes voices and anxiety or is that linked to bpd too. but i read that it causes depression but i have months were im really happy but im not sure and trying to think of things that might be causing my problems so i can become well again

KansasTherapist : BPD is complex, usually cause by life experinced.
KansasTherapist : chronic depression is one of the symptoms but not the main issue.
KansasTherapist : There are other things like self harm, fear of abandonment, impulsive behaviors, black and white thinking that are more indicative.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

yea i have them symptoms and have had painful experiences but just didnt know if it could also be caused from celiac disease,

KansasTherapist : Hearing voices is more often a symptom of a though disorder like schizophrenia which has been linked to Celiac disease.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

i haven't actually been diagnosed with bpd there not sure what my illness is but they know its a mood disorder but there current diagnosis is bpd but dont know if its a true diagnosis as i have been diagnosed with different things in the past

KansasTherapist : That is a common problem for people with a more complex mental illness.
KansasTherapist : It is also possible to have more than one illness.
KansasTherapist : Are you seeing a doctor or therapist now?
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

i see a phsychiatrist but dont see him very often and have a cpn but dont see her that much now i have been diagnosed with bpd because she doesn't work in that area

KansasTherapist : There is treatment for BPD that can be very effective. It's called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It was developed by Marsha Linehan.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

i did do some DBT in hospital but didnt complete it all but i think im going to start it again shortly

KansasTherapist : There are workbooks you can by that teach skills that help with BPD. The skills also help with other mental health issues and are really good for just about anyone.
KansasTherapist : if you can find a group that uses DBT that is really the best.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

yea my cpn going to refer me to a DBT group but dont think it starts for another 3 months thanks for your help i will get some DBT workbooks and have a look through them

KansasTherapist : you're totally welcome.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

just one more question does DBT help with social anxieties

KansasTherapist : Yes, it could help with that, teaching you how to manage interpersonal relationships and emotional distress.
JACUSTOMER-xgfmwpf8- :

thanks

KansasTherapist : no problem
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist
KansasTherapist, LSCSW