How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KansasTherapist Your Own Question
KansasTherapist, LSCSW
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 566
Experience:  17 years experience with depression, abuse, and borderline.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
KansasTherapist is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Currently the relationship that I am in is having troubles

This answer was rated:

Currently the relationship that I am in is having troubles seeing eye to eye on finances, child rearing and how we see our future. We have agreed to put off our engagement until we can come to an agreement. One of the other things is for us to get help individually with our troubles. About 5 years ago I was in a very hostile and abusive relationship that I thought that I was over but issues have arisen, and I guess I am not over it. My current family situation is that my Mom and Dad do not like my current boyfriend and they are having difficulty accepting my new choice. I feel that I need to please them for they have helped me in the past 5 years with my daughter and getting me back on my feet. I know that this is a general overview but I am not sure if I should talk to a priest or a psychologist or both. I just want everything to work out and be happy. Please help if you think you can.
It seems like you're asking how best to get help dealing with your past abusive relationship. Some priests are well educated and experienced in counseling, others not as much. If you want to go to your priest, I encourage you to find out what kind of education he has. If you aren't sure or don't feel comfortable with him a therapist would be a good choice. You can see a psychologist who usually has a Phd. or a masters level therapist. Someone who has experience with trauma would probably be best.

I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with.
KansasTherapist and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Mental Health Questions