How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TherapistMarryAnn Your Own Question
TherapistMarryAnn, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 5821
Experience:  Over 20 years experience specializing in anxiety, depression, drug and alcohol, and relationship issues.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
TherapistMarryAnn is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14 year old daughter loves to manipulate, twist stories,

This answer was rated:

My 14 year old daughter loves to manipulate, twist stories, and is very inappropriate in her sexualality. She seems to have no regard for boundaries. This has made me, my husband (step-father, my girlfriends, and family) very uncomfortable. When you discuss this with her she twist everything around then goes and tells lies around to others more to hurt me but does not realize the other people she is hurting. I truly believe she s bi-polar. How can I get a diagnosis and help for her.?

Hello, I'd like to help you with your question.

When a child reacts like your daughter is to others, there are two possibilities: one is that something happened to her that caused her to act this way, or two, this is coming from inside of her such as with a mental illness. At this point, it is not clear which is the case. Therefore, an evaluation by a qualified therapist is important.

In order to find your daughter a therapist, you can ask her doctor for a referral. Or you can search on line at

You want to find a therapist who specializes in childhood disorders. A Master's level therapist or a Ph.D are the best ones to provide a full evaluation and therapy. A psychiatrist is a medical doctor trained in psychology. They mostly prescribe mediations, though they can do therapy. A psychiatrist will be helpful if your daughter is diagnosed with Bipolar, which is best controlled with a combination of medications and therapy.

Here is a list of credentials to help you know what you are looking for:

You want to find someone who has either a M.S., M.Ed, M.A., or M.S.W./L.S.W. These are some of the most common degrees for therapists. Other initials are usually extra certifications or licenses.

Here are some other resources to help you:

I hope this has helped you,

TherapistMarryAnn and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At what age should I seekcounseling and therapy.

She can go right now. Any child over the age of 3 can be in counseling.


I just received a poor service on one of my answers to you. Please let me know what you were unhappy about. Did you have more questions?