Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I feel like my life is empty and boring. I work 40 hrs a

I feel like my life...
I feel like my life is empty and boring. I work 40 hrs a week but cannot seem to find the motivation to do anything. I have thoughts about hobbies and things but after work I am tired. I have only 1 close friend and no love live, nor do I have a desire for one, but I do like men but have never met anyone that moved me to interest. I feel trapped in my life. I took the Keirsey test and came back as a ISTP Artisian Crafter. I like to learn things but cannot concentrate if they are boring to me. I don't feel I am good with tools as an ISTP is supposed to be. I realize I need to pull myself out but I don't know how.
10/3/2012
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Dr. Rossi :

How long has this been going on? What you're describing sounds like "anhedonia" often experienced by those struggling w/ depression.

Dr. Rossi :

It shows that you're off line now. Feel free to reply when back on.

Depending on other symptoms you may have and their severity, the options may be medication and/or counseling. If your work offers EAP (employee assisted services), you could get some free confidential counseling w/ a licensed clinician off site.

Dr. Rossi :

Lack of concentration could be due to different factors from adult ADD, depression, anxiety, hormonal changes...

Dr. Rossi :

There are again different options to address that based on the possible cause behind it. There are both natural and pharmacological ones to look into depending on what you're open to.

Your mood can affect your outlook and how you relate to others.

Debra,
Feel free to reply when back online. You've listed that you're taking or were taking Prozac. If you don't feel any difference/improvement, it may be helpful to consider other medications/dosages. It would depend on how long you've been taking it, the dosage and whether or not at one point you felt better or not while on it.
Individuals who have been taking SSRI medications for a long time, can experience anhedonia. This could be a side effect when the medication had been used for a long time and had started to affect your dopamine levels (beside serotonin)

No, I take the prozac off and on. I did not really want to take the medication and fought it for a long time. They make me feel like I want to eat everything in site and I tend to have extreme weight gain, but since I went through menopause I don't feel so hungry now. I have had only one ovary since I was 26. I think it is hormonal along with family history of depression. I don't have a counsler or MD. I get it from my Ob-Gyn. I don't trust I just went through menopause at 49 and found I got angry very easily. Sometimes I just feel mean! I don't like loud sounds or certain sounds irrate me. I like to be alone it does not bother me, but the sameness and boredom does after a while. Thoughts of ending it have crossed my mind but that is it, I haer I have gone to employee assistance through my job, she was totally no help at all, and I felt like I was only a number. She told me there was nothing she could really do for me. She just was not interested really. I like psychiatry and have done a lot of research. I realized my family has this tendency towards depression. We have had several suicides in my family on my mothers side. My mothers brother hung himself in his basement. On my mothers side they were very kind but I never knew him. He I had a pretty good life, except that my father was an drinker but never was abusive to us just aggravating. I am a twin, and am 4 minutes older than my sister. I have 5 other sisters and 2 have passed due to illness. I am a very private person and I think I am shy but I due to my job I act like I am not. I need change before I go crazy but am afraid to rock the boat due to the ecomony and not knowing what to do that I could make money at and that I would like to to. I have some ideas but its seems impossible to make a living at them to free me.

Thank you for clarifying.
Decrease levels of estrogen can indeed cause mood changes/depression.
Wellbutrin is a different class medication used for depression and one of its side effects is decreased appetite/weight loss.
There are other options that are more natural such as pregnenolone (hormone) and it can be obtained over the counter. Of course, you would want to possibly see what your OB thinks about it.
It's really disappointing to hear that you were not helped through the EAP counselor. There are of course other counselors that you may find more helpful if you decide to try it again.
Negative self loathing thoughts can change brain chemistry and worsen depression. If you've got a predisposition towards a mood disorder, you can of course try to monitor your own cognitions w/o the aid of a CBT counselor.
It all depends on what you're comfortable and open to trying.
If you think it's an option, see if you could reduce your work hours or perhaps ask to be considered for a different position. It won't be wise to like you say "rock the boat" before something else is available based on the line of work you do or would like to do.

I tried Wellbutrin years ago and all I did was cry. Was going through a divorce at the time but I did not like how I felt.

I try to avoid the negative and self loathing thoughts when I have them so it is like a catatonic emptyness with awareness and particpation of everything around me.

Thank you for your help.

The "catatonic emptiness" is the anhedonia. There are natural dopamine agonists that you could try and see if you find effective. When the brain chemistry is managed, you will notice a change of outlook. Right now, because its been present for quite some time, you're thinking that it is your baseline.
Some natural options for dopamine increase are: Macuna Pruriens, L-trytophan, CoQ10, Tyrosine.

Ok, I will try, if it does not help what kind of Psych MD or type of counseling can I find for anhedonia? What type of counseling is needed for this type of depression? Thank you

Any psychiatrist who specializes in mood disorders could re-evaluate the need for medication. A counselor who specializes in CBT/cognitive behavioral therapy would be appropriate. There are other therapeutic styles that can also be useful such as: REBT (rational emotive behavioral therapy). Stay away from psychoanalytic or person centered therapy. A counselor should be able to identify their therapy style.

Thank you for your advice. I really appreciate it and will try to work at this.

Sure, take care!
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist