How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Vikas Your Own Question
Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 2253
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Vikas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend who seems to have delusional parasitosis. He

Customer Question

I have a friend who seems to have delusional parasitosis. He feels bugs crawling in his eyes and under his skin and biting him for appox. nine or ten months. He has been to the emergency room more than once and to his doctor many times (cannot find anything). His unit exterminated more than once, threw out bed and other furnishing and bought a new bed. He still feels bugs biting him. I told him to see a mental health provider.He also has Bipolar. He seems to be under a lot of stress. Any suggestions. Thank You L.Meeks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Hello L. Meeks,

The symptoms you have mentioned are indeed suggestive of delusional parasitosis if physical examination is totally normal.

Patients suffering from delusional parasitosis are usually against seeing a psychiatrist because they believe in what they are saying (difficult to convince them that all this in their thought).

Most of the patients who come to us are referred to us by Skin specialist so if your friend is not willing to see a psychiatrist you can tell him or her to see a skin specialist first who after thorough examination can refer him or her to a psychiatrist.

Delusional parasitosis respond very well to antipsychotic medicines such as Risperidone or Olanzapine in most cases.

Please feel free to discuss further.

Kind regards


Please do not rate my answer if your question is not yet fully answered.You can simply ask further by using REPLY button and I will get back to you.If you are satisfied with my answer please rate one of the positive ratings (3,4,5) as this is the only way how we are compensated for our time and expertise.